Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attempting my first Bolognese (ragu) sauce.
1 lb Kroger Sweet Italian ground pork ($2) "on sale, had coupon, managers special"
1 12 oz. bag of frozen mirepoix ($1) "onions/carrots/celery"
2 15 oz. cans of petite dice tomatoes ($.78) "one chipotle, one green chile"
2 heaping teaspoons of minced garlic in a jar ($1)
2-3 cups of reduce sodium chicken stock, no wine on hand ($1)
dried basil and oregano, using up what was left on hand
heavy on the crushed red peppers.
1 lb thin spaghetti wheat/whole grain (.75)
$7 and it would feed a family of 4-6 with ease.
Started the meat at 11 pm, had the lid on to simmer by 11:30 pm, will let it simmer until 2 am, then reduce if needed. I also have some leftover spaghetti sauce to add if needed, but doubt I will.

Follow the general order for the sauce, which isn't much different than making chili. Brown meat, drain and set aside. heat oil, add veg (mirepiox) and cook for 6-8, add garlic and cook for 1 min, add wine or stock to deglaze, add tomatos and spices, return to boil then simmer.

At 1 am,

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well if I didn't make a pig of myself. I woofed it down like an eight year old will spaghetti-o's Only ONE issue though. either I didn't drain the meat well enough or I used too much EVOO as these is an oil layer on top. Once chilled it should lift off to be tossed, but DAMN!

All the veg. was almost mush, really soft, maybe could have used a little sugar??

Having never made anything Italian or even been to Olive Garden...I'm fat and happy tonight!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice! Trying using fresh carrots, celery and onion. Dice them fine and sauté them and then add to meat to cook. Add some tomato paste with your tomatoes. Also, hydrate and add some porcini mushrooms. MMMMM!!!

·
Pew Pew!
3,509 Posts
Hrmm. Ive noticed youre into hearty stews...

I keep telling myself to do a HOW To when I cook but I keep forgetting. arg.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Irish/German/Welsh roots might be the blame, or the fact parents/grandparents were used to depression era meals.

Cheap, easy, filling.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok. At least try some tomato paste in the sauce. It will zing it up a bit. Both parents being from north central Italy makes their Itslian food yummy!!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I normally have a small can on hand, but I had used it in the last batch of beans.

I'm trying to use up all the "extras" I have as I loaded up on sales items when I couldn't drive for two years.

I do need to hit up an Aldi to see what they have for cheap.

Years ago I made a Hungarian Goulash, using a squeeze tube of tomato concentrate. But something in that recipe didn't agree with me and the results were disastrous. So me trying new foods is somewhat limited.

Results bad enough I almost called 911 or was going to the EMR.

·
The Great Weldini
8,901 Posts
growing up and most of my adulthood, i've only dated Italian/Sicilian women. so yeah i've eaten like this for a large part of my life. yes Bone its good down to earth home cook meal.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can thank Mario for it before he was on The Chew.

He stated you can make Italian food as fancy or as simple as you want it.

Honestly, it wouldn't be hard to change the sauce to a Mediterranean/Greek meat sauce, aka Cincinnati Style Chili.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Huh. Just yesterday I said to myself "Self, you need to start preparing foods and storing them for later." Home made pasta sauce was on the list. Thanks for the nutritional motivation.

·
The Great Weldini
8,901 Posts
I can thank Mario for it before he was on The Chew.

He stated you can make Italian food as fancy or as simple as you want it.

Honestly, it wouldn't be hard to change the sauce to a Mediterranean/Greek meat sauce, aka Cincinnati Style Chili.
i see what you did there, are you referring to Skyline Chili?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
The Great Weldini
8,901 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts