Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to know what the bolt size and thread patter is to close up the hole in the black box.
my car will be on a lift tomorrow getting the transmission replaced and this would be the best time to close up the black box.

better yet, could I just rip off the entire black box and plug the hole in the block? if this method is in fact "better/easier" what bolt size and thread patter would close up the hole in the back of the box, where the black box is attached to?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Why would you want to block off the black box? It's to vent crankcase pressure and if you block it off the pressure is going to blow out your rings or cause excessive oil burn. You can get a fitting that will allow you to remove the black box and run it into a catch can. Or you can simply just vent the black box itself to atmosphere. But I wouldn't block that hole unless you want to do a rebuild soon.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Why would you want to block off the black box? It's to vent crankcase pressure and if you block it off the pressure is going to blow out your rings or cause excessive oil burn. You can get a fitting that will allow you to remove the black box and run it into a catch can. Or you can simply just vent the black box itself to atmosphere. But I wouldn't block that hole unless you want to do a rebuild soon.
Even with a catch can with 2 ports attached to the valve cover??
Right now my black box is venting to atmosphere but I believe oil can come out of this thus cause me to loose oil gradually?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I ran my black box vented to atmosphere and the only thing that I saw were oil vapors. The black box itself is baffled so you won't be getting any oil squirting out of there. It's better to leave it as is.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Don't close it up. One of the sponsors on here sells an adapter to make the hole a -10 AN fitting IIRC
I ran one of those before. The one I had was a -12 AN fitting.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
by having this block plug in place of the black box.. this would essentially act a a "drain back" for any oil the catch can may be "catching" =)???
By the way, my catch can barely has any oil or vapor in it at all...after 6 months of being boosted and 2 dyno sessions...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I closed mine off on my B series but that's only because the B has two hex plugs in the back of the block that are meant to be oil cooler ports. so I got fittings for those two ports to run to my catch can and a breather on the can. Also I tapped those two lines together and they also act as a drainback. So as long as you are venting the block somehow you could close it off

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.