Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1991 crx dx
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey the other morning i was driving to work and my car started to overheat, i got out and put some water in it after that it was fine, now i was driving it llike 3 days later and i pull in at the house and i hear it like gurgling, and i look under it and its pouring out water, i pop the hood and the overflow is full and its coming out of the top, and i could still here the water gurgling, the temp gauge in the car showed normal running temp with no bouncing, i put a thermostat in it about 12000 ago, what in the hell is the problem, it has new radiator in it also

·
Registered
166 Posts
are you only putting water in it? you need a mix of antifreeze/coolant and water.

is anything leaking from the radiator or hose or anything like that?

if it is a blown hg, then they'll most likely be a mix in your radiator fluid and oil, so if your radiator fluid starts looking "milky"/creamy then there is a good possibility that it is a blown hg.

·
Registered
1991 crx dx
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i do put a mix in it most of the time, and as for a leak i have been over it a thousand times and no leaks, and i have been pondering on it being a hg gasket for quite some time because everynow and then it runs a little rough, and i have replaced alot of things trying to fix it, and also it feels like it doesnt have the compression that my hatch has. what i've been wondering is maybe the hg has a small break in it that kind of opens and closes at times letting small amounts of water in the cylinders at times and just steaming it out, not enough to see a creamy mix in the oil or radiator, what do you think? and also if i do im goin to get the head reworked because it has been overheated several times, but what is the chances of the block being warped also? sorry so long.

·
Registered
287 Posts
what i've been wondering is maybe the hg has a small break in it that kind of opens and closes at times letting small amounts of water in the cylinders at times and just steaming it out, not enough to see a creamy mix in the oil or radiator, what do you think?
Seems like if it were leaking, it would be leaking all the time

·
Registered
1991 crx dx
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does anybody know the likely hood of the surface of the block where it meets the head being warped as well as the head?

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Sounds like too much fluid, or, the water pump is dead, or, air pockets(have you bleed the system?).

BTW, check the ratio of coolant/water. Coolant raises the boiling temperature of water, so if it was plain water it would boil at a lower temp.

·
Registered
1991 crx dx
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have bled the system but that still doesnt answer the question of where the water is goin, personally i think hg, but what is the likely chance of the block being warped also

·
Registered
1991 crx dx
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i dont know if this is the water pump making it do this or if it could possible be the compression of a cylinder. but i was puttin some water in it today and i let the car get to running temp and with the radiator cap off i revved the engine and it will literally puke it out of the top of the radiator and then after that you can see it get sucked down. is this normal or proof of hg

·
Registered
32 Posts
1st i would pressure test the system. I know you said you checkd for leaks but did you pressure test it? And is your cooling fan coming on? Are you getting any sorta curculation? Does maybe the upper hose feel really hot and the bottom cold or at least a noticalbe tempature change? If so the remove the thermostat then check. OR! maybe your fan switch is intermently actiing up and not turning the fan on soon enough? just a theroy. I don't know.

A compression test would help also. See if you have any coolant residue on the timing belt side of the motor under the crank area by the timing belt cover. Maybe you have a small leak.

You also might not be bleeding all air out of the system properly.

I would start first pressure testing the system. Then if no leaks, check to make sure the fan is coming on, check and make sure your getting proper circulation and you will know if your fan comes on you are. Or by feeling the top and bottom radiator hoes. If your not remove the thermostat, if you are try another known good fan switch. Do a compression test if all checks out good.

·
Registered
1991 crx dx
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i got in my car today and turned it over and it fired and then died tried it again along with a little gas after first lick and it stutters and stutters and stutters and then finally gets going normally, i smell hot antifreeze, and look behind and there is a small cloud of smoke, very thing smoke not thick like oil burning. im positive now that its the hg and in the next few days are goin to pop the head off have it milled and throw a new gasket on it and see what i come out with. has anyone had any bad experiences with napa autoparts machine shop

·
Registered
97 Posts
Napa is good but there all diffrent the one i use is in asheville nc and there the best around. Unless you have a adjustable cam gear i wouldnt mill it to much cause it will throw the timing off

1 - 14 of 14 Posts