Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello D-S.O,

I thought I would post a mini-build thread/timeline of my car as a way of introducing myself.

I received the car as a birthday gift (Summer of 2012), she was a bone stock 1990 Civic DX - Frost White with roughly 260k km (170k miles) on the clock.

No initial pictures but she was a little on the grungy side, so I spent the first 2 days cleaning her inside and out.

BEFORE

AFTER

I have had a Honda from the 90's in the past, so I was well aware of their built-in trunk leaks.
I decided to do my best Martha Stewart impression and make my own gaskets. They aren't pretty but they function perfectly using gasketmaker as extra insurance.

OLD

NEW

Soon after that (about a week into ownership), I experienced the downside of owning an older Honda... An attempted break-in...
They cracked my door hondle and left a semi-circle gash in the paint right underneath the handle. All this happened right in my own driveway.

About $700 later, I had a very solid 2-way alarm system with keyless entry; I felt fancy.
They tried again a bit later to test out the system, but they were scared off and haven't been back since (~3 years since my alarm was set off by someone other than me)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then I watched a bit too much of the MCM guys and made everything BLAAACK!!!

Then moved onto some other maintenance type of work.
She was missing a rear defrost relay and two CEL codes (IACV and IAT) so I bought this stuff from RockAuto.com

Then I did my first real mod, DX >>> Si Cluster swap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is how she sat for a while, I threw on some amber corner lights and window visors to defog the car faster.

More maintenance work for this old girl. I now see why she was slipping randomly.

I liked chasing skirts and I liked looking at them too. I felt it was necessary to throw these on the girl to up her sexy game (EK skirts, cut to fit)

That's all for now... Doing this from work, it's a slow day :devil:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then it was time for a performance mod, I chose to lower her using Tanabe DF210 Springs and Koni Yellows

I chose those springs for their OE like ride quality, plus I found them for $100 shipped. Once everything settled down, she was about 2 inches lower than stock form.

Also picked up some haggard Integra mesh wheels that I refinished in hyper silver.

Here's how she looks today.

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
Very nice. If I were a rich man, I'd buy up every 4th gen civic I came across.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the compliments.

I'm going for an OE Plus look, but there is some influence from... Initial D.
I think the Panda theme works on the EF.

Here's a couple of shots so you guys see what the whole car looks like.

About a year and a half ago, I ended up blowing my head gasket due to a pinhole leak in my radiator. I didn't keep an eye on my coolant and poof. The leak only happened once the system was pressurized.

Anyways, that lead up to getting the B18C1. I wanted factory reliability and found a motor with 130k km (80k miles) with matching transmission. No pictures of what's under the hood though.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Wow, bet that is a blast to drive around.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let's just say she can get up to highway speeds very quickly...
It's the only place I can punch it without getting into any trouble, "I'm just getting up to speed, officer." :angel: :devil:

That actually happened to me once where I dropped into second on a highway onramp, car went BWAAAAH up to the top of second (~65 mph) and then I had 5-0 switch over two lanes and stuck to my butt for a couple of exits before bugging out.

He couldn't gauge my speed from two lanes over and I behaved once he was behind me. He had nothing on me so he left.

Anyways, I tried installing my K-Tuned Adjustable Shifter today but ran into a compatibility issue with the Innovative B-Series Shift Linkage. I had a couple of hours to kill before work, what could go wrong???

I was 99% completed, I just had to put the bolt thru one side of shift linkage, then the shifter and out the other side. The holes were not lining up, no matter how much I yanked on the bugger, she wasn't going to line up.

Then I noticed a flap on the linkage was rubbing on the base of the shifter.

The distance from the base to the bolt is at least 1/3 inch if not more.
The base of the integra shifter I have in there now is about the same size as the bearing in the K-Tuned shifter.

With half an hour before I had to leave for work, I ripped out the K-tuned shifter and hastily re-installed my integra shifter. Off to work I go.

At work, I rounded off the boxy profile of the shifter and ground it down within 1 mm of the bearing. It got pretty hot to say the least, hopefully I didn't melt away the grease inside the bearing.

If that doesn't work, I'll have to cut that metal tab off the shift linkage. Sigh.:willy_nilly:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here's a diagram of the modification I had to do to the K-Tuned Shifter to fit to the Innovative EF B-Series Shift Linkage.

Legend:
RED = Shift Linkage
BLACK = Base of Shifter
BLUE = Material removed from Shifter

After the swap, the shifter feel has become a lot more mechanical.
You can feel the forks moving about and gears mating up within the transmission through the shifter.
There is a little loss in the buttery smooth engagement of the OE Honda stuff, but all play in the shifter is gone. It feels like a gated shifter now.

Here's some calculations I put together when going through my shifter choices throughout my build

The measurements were taken from here:
http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/9772-diy-integra-gsr-shifter-install-into-civic.html

Now I have to get a new shift boot that will fit over this beastly thing and not show the honking metal elbow.
I like to keep things as stealthy as possible, like the rest of my build.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thought it would be time to put my other wheels on.

Kosei K2R wheels (15x7 +38 mm) with BFG Sport Comp 2 tires (195/55/15)
Here's a preview of the beefy setup, I was too excited to go out and drive to take any other pictures.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts