Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new, and I really need some help, I bought this car about 8 months ago, and finally have some legit time to work on my motor. I cleaned out my garage and have some space to do some serious work. I'm not 100% experienced, but I'm inclined in cars, and aspiring to learn myself. Any help here would be much appreciated.

There is basically nothing done to this motor except an aftermarket Injen intake. Other than that this D15B8 is stock.

After a few days of knowing that my motor was running rough, I decided to park it and carpool with my neighbor to school and work. My motor starts, but one, burns oil, bogs down when I push on the gas/throttle body, and yeah, I have no idea what the hell is up. I was going to try and get to my piston rings and replace them, but don't want to get in over my head in working on my car. My intake makes a loud pitched whistling noise when my car is idling, and even louder when I rev it.

List of troubleshooting things I've done:

•new Fuel Filter
•Cleaned out the intake manifold with carb cleaner
•Did a compression test on all four cylinders (from left to right, or cylinder 1-4, my car got 160, 90, 155, 160).
•New plugs
•Checked Distributor cap (no cracks)

thats basically it, any answers or advice? I really appreciate it guys! (btw sorry for the wall of text, I just wanted to include any/everything so I didn't have to say it all later).

-Anthony

·
Banned
283 Posts
3 of those numbers are straight

160, 155, 160

90 is not.. you have problem with the second cylinder...

is the head gasket blown

does your oil look like chocolate milk, or is it white... is there obviously coolant in your oil, or oil in your coolant...

does it over heat?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3 of those numbers are straight

160, 155, 160

90 is not.. you have problem with the second cylinder...

is the head gasket blown

does your oil look like chocolate milk, or is it white... is there obviously coolant in your oil, or oil in your coolant...

does it over heat?
Well, would a head gasket allow that much oil to burn off? I mean it goes through about a quart every 2 weeks if I drive it every day. And do you reccommend I do look at the head gasket to check?

and when I take out my oil, it comes out good, its not the color of chocolate milk, its really dark dark brown, basically black, but the consistency of chocolate milk.

And I don't think there is coolant in my oil, or visa versa, but I can drain out my raidiator.

and thankfully it doesn't overheat. Thanks for the help man.

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
Let your car warm up again. Turn it off and pull the spark plug of the cylinder that has low compression. Put a few drops of oil in there and check the compression again.

If the compression is higher than it is your piston rings.

If it is in fact the piston rings then you'll have to replace the headgasket and such anyways.

Also pick up a Haynes/Helms/Chiltons manual for your car. They are your best friend :TU:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let your car warm up again. Turn it off and pull the spark plug of the cylinder that has low compression. Put a few drops of oil in there and check the compression again.

If the compression is higher than it is your piston rings.

If it is in fact the piston rings then you'll have to replace the headgasket and such anyways.

Also pick up a Haynes/Helms/Chiltons manual for your car. They are your best friend :TU:
yeah, I started to do a wet test, with WD-40, which is what honda reccomended I do. But I'm pretty sure my battery was getting weaker and weaker by the 4th or 5th compression test I did.

Oh yeah, and I just got my chilton in the mail about a week ago. Thanks man.

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
np,

I did a re-ring job on my d16y7 a few months ago. Hell I didn't pull the motor out of the car. Just pulled the head and oilpan. Took a day and a half, Advance ordered the wrong piston rings but that was another story :TD:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
np,

I did a re-ring job on my d16y7 a few months ago. Hell I didn't pull the motor out of the car. Just pulled the head and oilpan. Took a day and a half, Advance ordered the wrong piston rings but that was another story :TD:
haha, thats funny, I was reading last night in my chilton about how they emphasise the order all the parts are removed and re installed. lol, so do you think I could do it with the instruction of the chilton if that turns out to be my problem? and do you think I should try another compression test? "dry"/wet?

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
haha, thats funny, I was reading last night in my chilton about how they emphasise the order all the parts are removed and re installed. lol, so do you think I could do it with the instruction of the chilton if that turns out to be my problem? and do you think I should try another compression test? "dry"/wet?
Yea I'd do the wet compression test. I'm 99% sure your rings are gone but it never hurts to double and tripple check.

As for indexing parts. Yes it's vital. I use a sharpie to lable everything.

Basicly put an arrow on top of the piston to the front of the motor. Internal wise, arrow on the rod caps pointing twords the front of the motor as well as a number to which rod it came from.

Just take your time and you'll be alright

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I'd do the wet compression test. I'm 99% sure your rings are gone but it never hurts to double and tripple check.

As for indexing parts. Yes it's vital. I use a sharpie to lable everything.

Basicly put an arrow on top of the piston to the front of the motor. Internal wise, arrow on the rod caps pointing twords the front of the motor as well as a number to which rod it came from.

Just take your time and you'll be alright
dude, you're such a big help, thanks so freakin much man, i may or may not tear into this tomorrow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.