Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have read that having low oil pressure can cause knocking. I have confirmed a rear main seal blown on my engine already with UV dye (Have not fixed it yet) I am hoping this is the cause of the light knocking sound I have been hearing.

Does anybody know what the knocking is and if it is damaging anything?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
The rear main isnt part of the main oiling system, its a seal for the lower end. If your having low oil pressure, the rear main isnt going to be the direct cause. Low oil pressure is caused by incorrect clearances or lack of oil for the pick-up (either due to level or aeration). Now, if your so low on oil cause the rear main seal bleeding out then obviously you know the cause. And its not the rear main seal.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
True, it could be the pan. Its easy to nick the gasket when installing it. It also gives false signs, if the leak is large, that the rear main is leaking due to wind-age. I have only run into the latter a few times, usually only when the pan is installed by some one that is laying on their back. If the bottom end was assembled on a stand, its doubtful its the pan. Assuming you didnt torque to honda listed in the FSM spec...... Cause that spec is DEAD wrong.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
True, it could be the pan. Its easy to nick the gasket when installing it. It also gives false signs, if the leak is large, that the rear main is leaking due to wind-age. I have only run into the latter a few times, usually only when the pan is installed by some one that is laying on their back. If the bottom end was assembled on a stand, its doubtful its the pan. Assuming you didnt torque to honda listed in the FSM spec...... Cause that spec is DEAD wrong.
can you clairfy the correct torque spec?

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
I never torque down pans to Factor spec. it splashes out the gasket big time. I lightly tighten the bolt with a 1/4" drive by feel making sure the gasket isn't splashing out

the biggest thing is you need rtv on the ends where it dips down on both side or it leaks.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
can you clairfy the correct torque spec?
Nope, the spec is different per pan and gasket combination. There are just too many. But as stated above, if the gasket starts to "splash out" its too late and too tight. Thread locker "blue" is a great side kick to keep the oil pan bolts in there. The gasket should just slightly start to squeeze and done.

Any and all gaskets that "dip" or "raise" should have a dab where the gasket contours. This should be common knowledge, if not then some one isnt paying attention to the details.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts