Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NO PICS UP YET!!

all comments and questions and concerns are encouraged

ok so as of Oct. 24 i blew up my piece on the dyno..

build:

FULL d16Y8

Head:
NGK V-Power 9 plugs
Supertech Black Nitrided Valves Valve
Crower Springs and Retainers
Crower Stage 3 Cam (i think i want to replace it with the 59500 or the 59300 or the 1.2 bisi what do u think??)
Gasket Match and Port and Polish 3 angle valve job (bought it from some1 on H-T like 4 years ago)
P2R Intake Mani Gasket
Skunk2 Pro ported intake mani
RS Machines thermal TB gasket 68mm
68mm Performance Factory TB (thnx Greg @ go-Autoworks.com)

Bottom:
GE Block guard
Crower rods
CP Pistons
King Bearing
Civic GX (natural gas) Crank (thnx Bense)
Toga HV Oil Pump (thnx Bense)
Steel Oil Pan (thnx _______ (forgot who sold it to me on here)
D16Y8 Stock Crank Pulley (thnx Sql_Civic)

Tranny:Rebuilt (thnx Bense)
Competiton Stage 5 SOHC Clutch
Fidanza Flywheel
CRX Si Case
ZC 1-4
CRX 5th
CRX F/D
OBX LSD
Transtar Rebuild kit (every synchro and seal and bearing) (look it up its hella cheapo)
Stock Axles

Turbo Kit:
custom Ram-Horn turbo mani
Tial 38mm Wastegate (6psi spring) with custom dumptube
Turbonetic Turbo ; was told it was a 60-1, tuner says its a 60 trim (now i just cant find the sheet with the specs on it)
3'' custom Stainless Open Downpipe
custom Backdoor FMIC 22 x 12 x 3
custom 3'' Coldside piping (thnx Greg @ go-Autoworks.com)
Tial 50mm BOV on backdoor endtank
TurboSmart Manual Boost controller (the stealth one that clicks when u turn it)
2 -10AN fittings (valve cover) & 1 -12AN fitting (black box pcv welded closed) custom ENDYN crankcase breather can
MSD/GM 3 Bar Map sensor
P30 J-Spec Hondata s300 tuned by Chris Miller of NRG Tech Racing

'91 CRX w/ Omni Drag Suspension, CRX Fender Braces, DC Sports Tie Bars and Strut Bars all around, ST rear sway, CRX HF front sway,'91 Civic EX front Spindles (thnx Drlatino999999), stainless steel braided brake lines, ITR calipers, Prelude VTEC re-drilled rotors (thnx BrakeExpert), new poly bushings EVERYWHERE, knock-off skunk2 upper control arms, new ball joints and innner and outer tie rods, rear camber kit, 87 CRX HF aluminum drums, Full-Race traction bars & Radiator (thnx Geoff @ full-race (got the ill crack deal @ Fall Nationals last year), MSD cap, rotor, wires, blaster 2 coil

OKAY! so that was the build, here is the story:

thermostat wouldn't open, shitty low temp gates crap..take it apart, put a blow torch to it, watch it open and close throw it back in there w/hella honda bond

strap it down on the Dyno, wild noise big kaboom motor still runs, now im thinking oh great, tell andrew that this $800 tranny just took a shit!

take the tranny off and i find that my pressure plate it MANGLED! (_______insert pics here_____)

send it back to Competion, they send me a new one due to manufacture's error

put it all back together, made a bunch of pulls, REEEEEEE boom BANG PIIIISSSSSSS coolant EVERYWHERE!

the coolant slug that gets pressed into the skunk2 intake mani's backed itself out and i lost all my coolant

take the mani off, drill and tap an AN plug, thread it into the whole, than tap the AN plug for a 1/8 NPT barb and use that for my coolant (just goes to the IACV; and yes i kno i could of just not ran coolant there, but i made a BIG mess and i wanted it done this way)

strap it back down make HELLA more passes pull out sic numbers...nothing wrong, until i max out my wastegate spring and my boost controller...

nothing but STUPID AMOUNTS of white smoke out of the downpipe...it made it thru the full dyno pull tho, wasn't a loud bang, just lots of white smoke

tuner suggests its the headgasket replace it on monday

i unstrap the car, roll it outside, pull one of the spark plugs and coolant comes rushing out, only out of 4 and 3 cylinders, 2 and 1 are good..

take the head off on monday see that the linders are cracked on the intake side next to the block guard in the # 4 & 3 spot.. Tuner said that there was no denotation and that the A/f's look good.. i talked to JFK87 and he said he used race gas for high boost (information i was no aware about) and that 250 tq is about the breaking point for d's

(_____________insert pics here_________)

final numbers was 387hp @ 288tq on 93 octane pump gas with 20psi

got a new block thnx to some local yolkal and im going to be slapping it all back together and making it one more time..with race gas...
i DEFF need a 1 bar spring so i can crank more boost! :devil2:

would like to take suggestion on how i should build the next one.. i built the last motor over a year ago and it just broke now...

so i got a fresh seasoned block with a new hone and a fresh deck (will get how much milled off later)

any ideas on clearances?

piston to wall:
piston to head:
valve lash:
main bearing:
rod bearing:
block guard? should i give it another go? should i do the DIY Devcon block sleeving aluminum filler?

SO THE REASON I MADE THIS THREAD:
is to put out the data so others know THAT much more information next time they go to build or tune somthing.. that on stock sleeves with forged internals on 93 octane this guy here made 288 TQ and thats when she let go...good luck and thanx 4 ur time in reading any part of this..

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
If you're saying that you shouldn't make more than 250 tq on stock sleeves then I disagree. Sounds like something went wrong with your build / tune. Plenty of peopl have made 250+ wtq on pump gas.

Sorry about the cracked sleeves though, that sucks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
running race gas at that power level is just a tuning crutch. IF tuned right you dont need to waste your money on race gas at this point. My pump gas tune on 93 is 530whp. Your going to go through alot on money on race fuel if you do.

·
formerly Kit88
6,233 Posts
This make me think , about what fuel to use tomorrow for my new tuning.

E85, Race fuel, or fuel pump??????

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
idk thats just what i was told from i believe to be a VERY reputable tuner/ engine builder...

verbatim what he told me:

JFK78 said:
I used 101 octane for high boost.

People have gone about that far on pump, but that is the ragged edge - the tune would have to be perfect.
250tq is the usual stopping point on pump with a d-series.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
running race gas at that power level is just a tuning crutch. IF tuned right you dont need to waste your money on race gas at this point. My pump gas tune on 93 is 530whp. Your going to go through alot on money on race fuel if you do.
u have stock sleeves and have 530 whp? wuts ur tq @ 530 whp

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
That wouldnt be a B sereis would it if so :sleep1:

·
Banned
1,137 Posts
i believe his motor is sleeved? if its the motor im thinking of.

sleeved or not. a good pump gas tune can make very impressive numbers. i'll be running E85 in my build. possibly feeding it meth in the spring.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I never said it was stock sleeves. I am just refering to NEEDING race fuel and thinking you do. Stock sleeves or a sleeved block, my point is just that you can make power with pump fuel. Using Race fuel is not going to make sleeves last longer the tune is for that.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I never said it was stock sleeves. I am just refering to NEEDING race fuel and thinking you do. Stock sleeves or a sleeved block, my point is just that you can make power with pump fuel. Using Race fuel is not going to make sleeves last longer the tune is for that.
ok yes u r correct about pump gas can wield the power consumption that the build consist of...

but on 93 with stock sleeves the strain goes to the liners... if u dont have enough octane than the weakest link will break 1st..

im also agreeing that race gas isnt going to make the sleeves last, but give the sleeves a reason not to crack.. ur still providing enough mix to get it to ignite w/o denotation

and i kno for a fact that my tuner is if not the best tuner in the US...and thats a bold statement and im confident enough to back it up..

thats about the exact moment i shoved my foot in my mouth (edited @ 12:16 about the best tuner shit.. so he aint the BEST in the USA! but he is top 10!)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
also with pump, its not a cleaner burn, stock sleeves are weak to begin with, so giving them a 'dirty' burn or no race gas bascially will aid them to become more weak with more added air..its like asking them to perform with shitty condition... they will take a beating but up to what point?

thats my point of this thread... stock sleeves is always a crap shoot, and yes maybe i just got a bad block that isnt able to handle much...sure i can contest to that..

but people on here that are making more power on here are doing something different to make it last..they car had 0 miles on it... pistons didn't see more than 20 dyno pulls..

93 has a limit on stock sleeves wouldnt you say?

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
5,973 Posts
i kno for a fact that my tuner is if not the best tuner in the US...and thats a bold statement and im confident enough to back it up..
i hope you can back this up because you just bought some heat to yourself...

*sits back and waits to see the show*

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Go with whatever fuel you fell more comfortable with. Who is the tuner?
ok, so now your just going to tell me ok bro do w/e makes u happy, im not trying to attack or pick a fight, im just trying to gain more insight on a situation and discuss the matter...

as far as the tuner's name.
read the thread...

Chris Miller and im not putting him on this high and almighty pedistal liek he is god, but i know for a fact he knows how and what he is doing and i kno his credncials and he dont need me to say hwo good he is, im just saying in my honest opinion that I think he is up there on that list..

(yah i shoved my foot in my mouth early about say'n he is possibly the best and blah blah blah but im not going to correct it b/c ill man up to w/e i say)

1 - 20 of 78 Posts