Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1992 EG8
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have a 1989 Honda Civic Wagovan, and just started noticing the water temp gauge reading hot. I pulled over and poped the hood and saw steam/smoke coming from the valve cover area. I let the engine cool,and looked at the oil dip stick. The oil doesnt appear to be milky,but at times I notice white smoke from the exhaust. Could someone please shed some insight on this issue. It would be greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
That sounds like a head gasket to me. I'll let someone else be the judge, though.

·
Registered
801 Posts
sounds like the headgasket.

honestly almost anything that would cause those issues you would probably end up repairing while doing the HG anyway, if you are putting fresh gaskets in as you go down.

pretty much once white smoke is in the exhaust and if you are steaming out the VC that sounds pretty clear.

also oil dipstick wouldn't mean much, drain the oil into a pan and check it out, even then its not a sure thing to see milky in the oil (i've had 3 HG go and none of them had coolant in the oil, but to be fair none of mine had whtie smoke or the VC steam either).

I'd just change the headgasket, if that is all you are doing its a longish job but its not terribly difficult if you follow proper procedures

·
Registered
1992 EG8
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds like a head gasket to me. I'll let someone else be the judge, though.
Thank for your reply

sounds like the headgasket.

honestly almost anything that would cause those issues you would probably end up repairing while doing the HG anyway, if you are putting fresh gaskets in as you go down.

pretty much once white smoke is in the exhaust and if you are steaming out the VC that sounds pretty clear.

also oil dipstick wouldn't mean much, drain the oil into a pan and check it out, even then its not a sure thing to see milky in the oil (i've had 3 HG go and none of them had coolant in the oil, but to be fair none of mine had whtie smoke or the VC steam either).

I'd just change the headgasket, if that is all you are doing its a longish job but its not terribly difficult if you follow proper procedures
Thank you for your information.

sounds like a head gasket.
replace it alone with the tstat, intake gasket and flush the coolant and oil change.

also look for cut or leaky hoses.
Thank you, will do.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Did you check the water level after it cooled off. A bad headgasket doesn't always result in oil and water mixing.

·
Registered
1992 EG8
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you check the water level after it cooled off. A bad headgasket doesn't always result in oil and water mixing.
No I haven't,but I found something odd. This hose was blown off, and it shoots antifreeze threw it? Does anyone know what this is? I guess i didnt have a clamp on it that good.

·
Registered
265 Posts
ah yes, the old intake heater/pcv hose assembly by pass.

When ever you suspect a coolant leak, always pressure test the system 2-3 PSI PASSED its normal operating range. If you suspect head gasket, pull plugs and look in bores to see if a piston is very clean compared to the others. Water is a great piston cleaner when heated in a cylinder.

·
Registered
1992 EG8
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ah yes, the old intake heater/pcv hose assembly by pass.

When ever you suspect a coolant leak, always pressure test the system 2-3 PSI PASSED its normal operating range. If you suspect head gasket, pull plugs and look in bores to see if a piston is very clean compared to the others. Water is a great piston cleaner when heated in a cylinder.
Alright cool, thank you for that information.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts