Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99' civic blew the engine. Oil leaked out and engine at 6000rpm+ and you get the clue. D16y7 motor. Oil light didn't come on or anything. I need a car so what should I do about the motor. One of my friends said it would be too expensive to fix the motor since there is probably a lot of things wrong with it. He said the best option is to find a place to put a used engine. My question is this what I should do? Also does anyone any good shops that replace engines in Southern california?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's a commuter car. I took it to a shop that came recommended and they are going to put a motor from Japan.

·
Registered
525 Posts
There is a user on here selling a y7 for $250 right now, I just saw the thread about an hour ago...

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
like I have a choice. It was either this or leasing a car.
yeah, because swapping a d series is some super difficult task.
drain oils
remove axles and bitch pin
disconnect engine harness at ecu and pull into engine bay.
remove motor mounts
pull motor then repeat in reverse.

its really not that hard. basic tools can do the job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ill swap it out with a b series but what is your price range its straight in swap hammer clearance for alternator tho with a usdm si wiring harrness it will rip but if not y7 with do just fine well

·
Registered
891 Posts
How much are they charging you for the work and the engine? Like $1200? You, a buddy and this site could get you through it for under $500 and a day. You should get that thing in your driveway now or get yourself a hemroid donut 'cause your tush is gonna be sore.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i have a a6 block. with p29 pistons and oem bearings/ gaskets. throw me an offer. just 10 k on the block. this is for block only.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The donut idea won't be needed. I know from start I can get the motor, then start doing this and that. As much as I am smart I have absolutly no tools and no place to do this. I have until next Thursday(24th) to get this car fixed, but I need a commuter car or otherwise I'm screwed. I don't have time to search for the motor, gathering parts, and with my smart ass putting the motor in 2-3 weeks with a mess of problems that I will create while putting in the motor. If I had time (2+months), and more money I would put in a B motor. But realisticly speaking putting in a motor when you don't have a lot of experience will take several weeks if not months.(I'm including the time that you are using troubleshooting all of the problems)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts