Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a 96 civic hatch. I knew it had motor problems when I got and its no big deal. Well the block is toast. Cyl 4's rod decided to explode. I got the head off and its in good shape. My question is what block will work with my y7 head? Will any d series work? I am not looking for any "Swap in a b series" answers. The cars will be for the wife and I would like to leave it as stock as possible.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Any d block excluding the A1, DOHC ZC, and D17's will bolt to that head.

Do some searching and find out what you need to do for timing belt, timing, and knock sensor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So any d series or just the D16's I know where I can get a d15 out of a 90 civic dx. And what about sensors or do they all swap also?

·
Registered
618 Posts
You need the D16Y8 mainly for the main reason it is OBD2 like the Y7 motor. Either one will not net you that much more power because the Y7's bottom end is JUNK. Also since these are VTEC heads you will need to pull the motor, have both the block and head planed so theres no oil leaks, get the VTEC conversion kit from a place like Golden Eagle, get a ECU from the VTEC car, and PLEASE do it correctly by getting the COMPLETE wiring harness instead of trying to run seperate wires for the VTEC. For what its going to cost to do it CORRECTLY, not half @$$ed you can swap in a B16 from a 99-00 Civic SI and have 30+ more wheel HP. The conversion will only give you about 110 HP at the wheels and is a total waste of time and effort. Anybody that says otherwise is a moron. Basically you can drop in a COMPLETE D16Y8 motor from the EX model from 96-00 and have the same power for a significant amount less, these motors can be bought with low miles for about $300-$500 and drop right in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking at just swapping the block. I am not worried about hp gains or anything like that. I have access to some blocks but the guy wants to keep the heads. I was just wondering what the better block is and I can run my y7 head on.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
he answered you

if youre dead set on just swapping the block stick with another y7 block built correctly or a y8 block since these are both obd2.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
So any d series or just the D16's I know where I can get a d15 out of a 90 civic dx. And what about sensors or do they all swap also?
Yes, any D15 blocks will bolt to D16 heads and vice versa (with the exceptions I posted above).

Personally I wouldn't bother getting a D15 that old, it's near guarenteed to be wore the crap out!

You need the D16Y8 mainly for the main reason it is OBD2 like the Y7 motor. Either one will not net you that much more power because the Y7's bottom end is JUNK. Also since these are VTEC heads you will need to pull the motor, have both the block and head planed so theres no oil leaks, get the VTEC conversion kit from a place like Golden Eagle, get a ECU from the VTEC car, and PLEASE do it correctly by getting the COMPLETE wiring harness instead of trying to run seperate wires for the VTEC. For what its going to cost to do it CORRECTLY, not half @$$ed you can swap in a B16 from a 99-00 Civic SI and have 30+ more wheel HP. The conversion will only give you about 110 HP at the wheels and is a total waste of time and effort. Anybody that says otherwise is a moron. Basically you can drop in a COMPLETE D16Y8 motor from the EX model from 96-00 and have the same power for a significant amount less, these motors can be bought with low miles for about $300-$500 and drop right in.
You don't necessarily "NEED" the Y8 block but it will make the swap easier. The Y7 and the Y8 have the exact same bottom end, for that matter they're the exact same motor but with different heads.

You don't need to convert to VTEC (there's nothing inherently magical about it). So don't waste your money on converting anything. Just buy a Y7/Y8 block and bolt it to the head you have or just buy a Y7/Y8 motor and throw it in your car.

You can swap a B16 in for a good chunk of change more, but then you'd have to convert to VTEC. Or you could swap in a B18/B20 non-vtec and not have to do a blasted thing. Just bolt the motor in and go. This will cost you about double what a Y7/Y8 is going to run. It will net you more power and you will have to run a different ECU.

mrblur, reading your post is like trying to solve a Sudoku puzzle all at once...

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
Also since these are VTEC heads you will need to pull the motor, have both the block and head planed so theres no oil leaks, get the VTEC conversion kit from a place like Golden Eagle, get a ECU from the VTEC car, and PLEASE do it correctly by getting the COMPLETE wiring harness instead of trying to run seperate wires for the VTEC.
lol, golden eagle vtec conversion kits are for ls/vtec's, CONSIDERABLY more complex than just a d-series head swap (search y7/y8 mini-me). y8 head will bolt up to y7 block with no modifications other than wiring up vtec.

but the OP was just looking for a block to replace his y7 block.
d16y7, d16y8 or d16y5 will be simplest. other d16's will work but will be a little more effort. driverside mount for instance...

·
Registered
840 Posts
Yes, any D15 blocks will bolt to D16 heads and vice versa (with the exceptions I posted above).

Personally I wouldn't bother getting a D15 that old, it's near guarenteed to be wore the crap out!

You don't necessarily "NEED" the Y8 block but it will make the swap easier. The Y7 and the Y8 have the exact same bottom end, for that matter they're the exact same motor but with different heads.

You don't need to convert to VTEC (there's nothing inherently magical about it). So don't waste your money on converting anything. Just buy a Y7/Y8 block and bolt it to the head you have or just buy a Y7/Y8 motor and throw it in your car.

You can swap a B16 in for a good chunk of change more, but then you'd have to convert to VTEC. Or you could swap in a B18/B20 non-vtec and not have to do a blasted thing. Just bolt the motor in and go. This will cost you about double what a Y7/Y8 is going to run. It will net you more power and you will have to run a different ECU.

mrblur, reading your post is like trying to solve a Sudoku puzzle all at once...
is the swap for the b18 really that simple? you dont have to run a new harness and all?

yeah i dont understand it either haha

cant you just buy a complete running y7 for 400 bucks?

i would say so but a block can be had real cheap he doesn't need the whole thing it seems and he seems to know what he is doing why waste extra money on a car thats not gunna need it i say

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
is the swap for the b18 really that simple? you dont have to run a new harness and all?

yeah i dont understand it either haha
If you've got the right car, yes! If both the B18 and car are non-VTEC and they're the same diagnostic generation (obd1/obd2/etc), ya it's take old motor out and put new in. Harness works, OEM mounts work, I'm not 100% sure about driveshafts, and you'll have to swap in a different ECU.

Doing a swap into an OBD0 car is a little different (pending on the trim level).

Hypothetically if you were to have a Non-Vtec B18 out of a 94 Integra and you wanted to put that in a 94 Civic DX, what I described above will work (plus 2 wires for an O2 sensor).

·
Registered
840 Posts
If you've got the right car, yes! If both the B18 and car are non-VTEC and they're the same diagnostic generation (obd1/obd2/etc), ya it's take old motor out and put new in. Harness works, OEM mounts work, I'm not 100% sure about driveshafts, and you'll have to swap in a different ECU.

Doing a swap into an OBD0 car is a little different (pending on the trim level).

Hypothetically if you were to have a Non-Vtec B18 out of a 94 Integra and you wanted to put that in a 94 Civic DX, what I described above will work (plus 2 wires for an O2 sensor).
i understand why so many people go with a B now haha, yeah i think the axels are differn't i'm almost positive they are i didn't know the mounts and everything lined up that amazing thanks for that fact webb

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
i understand why so many people go with a B now haha, yeah i think the axels are differn't i'm almost positive they are i didn't know the mounts and everything lined up that amazing thanks for that fact webb
you also need axles and integra shift link, and for 96-00 you also need a t-bracket and shift link from a 99-00 si or b16 del sol.

·
Registered
2006 Acura TL 6MT
656 Posts
WOW guys, way too much info for what his question was.

Yes, any D16 or D15 block will work. But you can get these motors, as stated above (if you care to read through all that info), for next to nothing.

Make sure if you buy a block, that it has visible cross hatching in the cylinders and it turns over, obviously. Look everything over really well and make sure there are no missing, broken/cracked, or severely corroded parts. Check all the holes for stripped threads, especially head bolt holes. I like to bring one of each size bolt on the block (theres only four or five different sizes) and thread a bolt in to each of the important holes, as threads can look okay, but be damaged. If the crank's out, check for damage in the journals.

That's about all I can think of. Good luck man.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts