Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the crx knowing it had a blown motor. NOw what to do with it????

But here are some pics.

Not sure what to do now though. The motor and tranny has 220,000 miles on it. I am not sure if the tranny is bad or good.
I know the crx needs new axles, and a lower cross member(the passanger side wheel is pushed back towards the rear).

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
chances are there isnt shit salvageable on that motor. pistons probably beat the shit out of the head and the block is obviously trash. you MIGHT be able to save the crank

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic 4door
43 Posts
K20 swap (or is it considered a swap when the current engine is fuqed? :p) :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chances are there isnt shit salvageable on that motor. pistons probably beat the shit out of the head and the block is obviously trash. you MIGHT be able to save the crank
Time to find another A6 or sohc zc and turbo. :p

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Roughly how much do those usually cost to swap?
Thousands.

Get a d15b vtec, a d16a6 or z6, or grab a ZC. All do well with a turbo and will be a lot cheaper than the K20, unless your plans a 400+ whp, and you have tons of $$$.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Build another d16a6 and put it in there.
I really want to do a little turbo d16a6 but I don't know much about turbos and where to buy the parts.

I might just buy a d16a6 block and have it built for high compression. But I know if I do that I will have to buy a brand new motor for the turbo.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
If you want to build for high compression, get the K20. If you want turbo info for the D, I honestly dont see how yo can't just start reading random threads in the turbo section and learn a shit ton. I personally don't know anything (yet), otherwise I'd try to be more helpful. :D:D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want to build for high compression, get the K20. If you want turbo info for the D, I honestly dont see how yo can't just start reading random threads in the turbo section and learn a shit ton. I personally don't know anything (yet), otherwise I'd try to be more helpful. :D:D
No K-series for me. That is what I have my rsx for.
I've been reading....

·
Registered
130 Posts
I really want to do a little turbo d16a6 but I don't know much about turbos and where to buy the parts.

I might just buy a d16a6 block and have it built for high compression. But I know if I do that I will have to buy a brand new motor for the turbo.
No, you can just swap in vitara's pistons on that motor to lower the comp with building another engine.
Hope this help:TU:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, you can just swap in vitara's pistons on that motor to lower the comp with building another engine.
Hope this help:TU:
Oh really? I found an A6 locally with tranny for $300. It has 200,000 miles though, doesn't leak oil.

Or I could buy just an A6 block and do rods, pistons, port and polish head, etc.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Oh really? I found an A6 locally with tranny for $300. It has 200,000 miles though, doesn't leak oil.

Or I could buy just an A6 block and do rods, pistons, port and polish head, etc.
did you buy the a6? as $300 is ALOT for a 200k mile a6. I bought mine for $60 Canadian funds, but it should be $100-$200 u.s. depending on the shape

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
did you buy the a6? as $300 is ALOT for a 200k mile a6. I bought mine for $60 Canadian funds, but it should be $100-$200 u.s. depending on the shape
Nope I haven't bought it yet.

·
Registered
130 Posts

Yes you dont have to rebuild another engine if wanted to boost it later.
I think $300 for a complete engine and tranny is not too bad, but 200,000 miles on a engine is too much, for your peace of mind rebuild it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes you dont have to rebuild another engine if wanted to boost it later.
I think $300 for a complete engine and tranny is not too bad, but 200,000 miles on a engine is too much, for your peace of mind rebuild it.
I haven't seen the motor yet. I think if I rebuild it, I am going to wait and rebuild it for a turbo set-up. And since I know almost nothing about turbos and where to buy the parts from, it might be a little while.

I also have to get a new front lower cross member, brake master cylinder, axles, and a few other things.

·
Registered
HONDA
368 Posts
you can basicly put any engine you want in a CRX chassis, its just about what you wanna spend and how fast you wanna go. the K20 is a major electrical conversion and also your gonna need a Hasport mount kit, custom axles, a fuel line kit, add the cables and shifter for the cable shifted trans, also the clutch is hydro but they sell a conversion kit for that so you can use your stock clutch cable, and then when your all done the hood is not gonna close unless you cut the crap out of it. but other than that with alot of money and swap know-how , its pretty simple

wish i had the money to put a K in my CRX

goodluck with whatever you decide

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you can basicly put any engine you want in a CRX chassis, its just about what you wanna spend and how fast you wanna go. the K20 is a major electrical conversion and also your gonna need a Hasport mount kit, custom axles, a fuel line kit, add the cables and shifter for the cable shifted trans, also the clutch is hydro but they sell a conversion kit for that so you can use your stock clutch cable, and then when your all done the hood is not gonna close unless you cut the crap out of it. but other than that with alot of money and swap know-how , its pretty simple

wish i had the money to put a K in my CRX

goodluck with whatever you decide
Yeah I am in no situation for the K-swap.

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Z6 block.......y8 head....ported....Z6 manifold....Ls throttle body..p28...vitara pistons....TT rods....T3 Turbo....T3/T4 turbo....= holyness... oh yeah...fuel managment...blah blah...same story everywhere...SEARCH...haha...sorry...k

1 - 20 of 20 Posts