Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 crx HF/67 jeepcj5
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a d15b6 block now out of my rex is this block good for a mild build up
maybe a JR supercharger? what would i have to put in this block to make it more reliable and a little more power?
the block is in nice shape no problems no ridge at the top of the bore or anything no major scratchs just a hone and ready for building just need to know what i should do to make it better i know i need pistons because of the
8 valve head it had. thank you

the old head had a better day R.I.P :skull:

·
Registered
91 crx HF/67 jeepcj5
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea it got 168000 on it and no damage is this block worth building it
or should i get a different block because of the 8 valve head that was on it?

i will be converting to 16 valve i hate 8 valve

·
Nor Cal D-series rider
2017 FK8 Type-R / 1993 DX hatch / 2001 LX coupe
810 Posts
The HF.. Sorry to say it, but you have the least capable D-Series block of supporting decent power since 1988. :neutral:
The rods are thinner than the already tweaker-thin regular D15's (if I remember correctly) and the 8-valve head takes an act of God or transzex to flow well.

Is there a junkyard near you? Try looking for a D16A6 or any D16 since there are more parts offered for 1.6 D's. Even a D15B1 / B2 / B7 would be a stronger platform to build than the D15B6.

Good luck with your CRX. :beer:

·
Nor Cal D-series rider
810 Posts
...But if you DO decide to build the D15B6 block, make sure you use any other D15 piston + rod + crankshaft combo if you go to a higher flowing 16-valve D-Series head (Besides the '92-'93 Civic CX D15B8!! ).

Crower makes D15 rods and many companies make pistons, but don't reuse the D15B6 crankshaft; its very small compared to other D cranks and probably wont work with aftermarket rods.

I think its too much of a hassle and money to modify the HF motor since you can pick up a JDM D15B VTEC with 127 hp online for like $425. Hope this helps. :TU:

·
Registered
91 crx HF/67 jeepcj5
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i got internals from a d15b2 would those be better?
and i got access to a d16z head and thats it would i be able to put that on it?
i wanna build a sleeper with it
will the block take abuse i plan on turbo plus i dont want vtec i got a d15b2 head and a d16z intake will that fit?
thanks for the help

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would say if you plan on running the S/C then just convert to an Si. With some searching around you can get the engine, trans, axles, knucles, and ECU for around $500 or about the same price as a vtec engine.

I'm say'n to do this for a few reasons. Since your have an HF the trans needs to go too. Also from what I've seen the A6 responds really well to the JRSC and is a cheap platform to start out with. It doesn't take much to make that engine ready to make good reliable power either. Basic rebuild with some with some pistons and a cam and your set.

·
Registered
crx and ford ranger
1,000 Posts
I would say if you plan on running the S/C then just convert to an Si. With some searching around you can get the engine, trans, axles, knucles, and ECU for around $500 or about the same price as a vtec engine.

I'm say'n to do this for a few reasons. Since your have an HF the trans needs to go too. Also from what I've seen the A6 responds really well to the JRSC and is a cheap platform to start out with. It doesn't take much to make that engine ready to make good reliable power either. Basic rebuild with some with some pistons and a cam and your set.

i happen to agree x1

·
Nor Cal D-series rider
810 Posts
/\ /\ Sounds like a simple, effective plan to make a faster HF. Try to use your D16Z6 head + intake tho, but see if you can find a D16 block and Si or DX cable trans.

With an Si transmission, any D16 block & Z6 head/intake you'll have an HF that's faster than a CRX Si. It will have roughly the same power but in a lighter car.

If you add forged pistons & rods it will handle the added power of a turbo or S/C better than a D15B2 or B6. I hope you don't live in California; if you do, its illegal to have a "hybrid" engine block, head and ECU combo so you'd have to pick one engine like D16A6, 'Z6 etc.

·
Registered
91 crx HF/67 jeepcj5
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i live in new hampshire what sucks is i cant afford a si tranny (just lost my job)i got a bunch of free parts from friends though i got a jrsc for 100 buxx from a friend because he went to b series (sad day to me) so i got for cheap i have to stick with with the HF tranny. i got d15b2 head and a d16a cam for it (if it will fit)
and i might not boost it, will the d16z intake fit the d15b2 head?
i got a free header from a friend its a S.S. megan racing
will this be a good combo?
plus i got pistons from a jdm d15b (d15b2) they are flat tops are those the same as the usdm d15b2?
and i got a SI ecu will that run it?

·
Nor Cal D-series rider
810 Posts
Sorry about your job. Is your ECU a PM6? Thats the right one if your staying OBD-0. Since your car is already MPFI you can reuse your engine wiring harness.

You can use the D16A cam & D16Z6 mani on the D15B2 head; I'm running that setup & like it. It helps to port match your head to match the bigger ports of the Z6 mani. The Megan header should do fine with the JRSC; just get Turboedit for your ECU and have your car tuned when you install the supercharger.

Keep your eyes out for trannys tho, even broken ones since you can put an Si final drive in your HF transmission to help you accelerate better.

·
Registered
91 crx HF/67 jeepcj5
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what sucks up here in new hampshire is that as soon as they get the car in the junk yard they crush it asap because they are more concerned about the old american cars i found a 95 civic ex but its gone the nxt week

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts

·
Registered
91 crx HF/67 jeepcj5
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ill have to see what i can find

·
Registered
crx and ford ranger
1,000 Posts
well this is the best place to try and find you something for sure

·
Registered
91 crx HF/67 jeepcj5
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dont have enough posts yet!!!?
im gonna build this block too and sell it to a friend
im going to put d15b2 internals in and head with d16a cam so i can get money and find a d16a

1 - 17 of 17 Posts