Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up an A6 block tomorrow to begin my a mild turbo build and want to do one of those three. All relatively the same price and after reading seem to be pretty easy. Here's my questions.

What kind of welding is required for the gaurd, mig or tig? Some people tap'em in. That makes me nervous.

Do all, or just the fill, need to be cured at running temp?

Off topic, sorta, is there anything inherintly bad with boosting an a6 block?

I'm sure I'll have more soon, Thanks

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
What are your HP goals. If its less than 250 I'd just leave it alone.

I dont like blockguards personally. Posting or block filling would be the way I'd go.

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
the sticky at the top of this forum is a nice writeup too!:beer:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why are blockguards bad? i dont get why people hate them

·
Registered
277 Posts
Blockguards aren't bad. It all depends on which one you use and how it is installed. People usually go by hear say. The blockguard from golden eagle is really good design. It still allow good coolant flow. Just my .02 cents

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
rainman said:
Blockguards aren't bad. It all depends on which one you use and how it is installed.
the reason that they have a bad reputation is because of them not being installed corretly. 90% of the time, failures are due to user error with ANY aftermarket part

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ryan89crx said:
90% of the time, failures are due to user error with ANY aftermarket part
This is what I've been finding about the gaurds. People with them in there right seem to love'em. So I'll ask again, what type of welding needs to be done to secure the block gaurd? Think I'm leaning towards the posts though.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No I'm going the fill route. Now, is there somewhere local I might be able to get the devcon? Maybe not a nation retailer but maybe a local type of shop.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually just called JG Engine dynamincs (builders of race engines) today and they said useing their block gaurd to just press it in 1/4"/as far as it goes and not to weld at all and that it just makes it worse. I will be using a JG block gaurd and running 22lbs.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^That doesn't sound bad. What's the price you got from'em shipped?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
they want $90 shipped I belive.. but I got mine for $30 shipped!!! :D

·
Registered
649 Posts
you don't need to weld the block guard it should be a nice fit. I'll be running a golden eagle block guard from tuner toys in a daily [email protected] we'll see how everything turns out. :TU:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dohdoh420 said:
they want $90 shipped I belive.. but I got mine for $30 shipped!!! :D

Hook it up. How'd ya do that? New but second hand or what? That's a steal, let me know if I can get one too.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
decev said:
Eh, dohdoh420 you know Greg Eberly or Jason Hudalla?
Nope dont know them... but yeah, the guy had it in his room for 1 year just sitting there, so I offered $30 shipped. if I could hook ya up I would, I wish I could help ya out and give another d series brotha a good deal , sorry.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Figured it was one of those sittin' around my room type deals. Glad you don't know those guys. They scammed $400 for a turbo outta me. How long of a drive is it to minnesota from cali anyways?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts