·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine jdm d16zc sohc vtec
Vitara/eagle/ blockguard
Arp Head studs
Stock Head.

I'm gonna change the HG due a compression leak in the coolant system. I will swap the head for a spare, recentely machine shop refreshed Z6 head (pressurized, cleaned, new Valves seats and guides, milled surface)
I will put a cometic Hg.

Now for my own paranoia I want to check the block surface. I read about the precision straight edges, but damn those are expensive as hell.

I know that chance is to warp more a HEAD than a Block but ... I just want to do the job right.

What can I use for measuring? What other straight edge will work?

Edit. I heard I straight cut glass will work too... But I think it's BS.

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
i'm going to be doing this soon and i'd like to hear from a veteran too. i assumed that i just go get a straight edge from any hardware store and look for any gaps from various angles.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
a precision straight edge is the best way. instead of buying one, take the block to your local machine shop and they can check it for you if they think they are going to get business.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
i <3 having access to a full machine shop and all the other goodies that come along with being an auto engineering major :)

if you can't get a hold of a machinist's straight edge; just take it to a machine shop.

if you CAN get a hold of one; just lay the straight edge diagonally against the deck and see what the largest feeler gauge you can slip under it is (check at multiple points, and move the straight edge to other locations)

iirc; .0015 per 12" of deck length is acceptable, but you should double check that in your manual...

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
i <3 having access to a full machine shop and all the other goodies that come along with being an auto engineering major :)

if you can't get a hold of a machinist's straight edge; just take it to a machine shop.

if you CAN get a hold of one; just lay the straight edge diagonally against the deck and see what the largest feeler gauge you can slip under it is (check at multiple points, and move the straight edge to other locations)

iirc; .0015 per 12" of deck length is acceptable, but you should double check that in your manual...
from what ive learned in school so far, is anything under .004 is acceptable. so basically if you cant put a sheet of paper underneath the straight edge, then your deck is flat. (paper is .003 thick)

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand that for most of you undoing your engine is fun butthe sentence "take your block to a machine" isn't quite doable. I'm just replacing the HG and taking apart the whole engine, time wise, wouldn't cover the expense of a straight edge.
I just wanted to know other thing I can use for measure? Is a engeneering/diagrammist rule good enough?

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Just clean up the top of the block as best you can, copper spray the headgasket, and torque everything down to spec. It'll be fine.

Most "rules" are definitely better than nothing, but I'd suggest at least takng your rule to a machine shop to get it checked against a machinist's straight edge or surface plate. That should be doable, right?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Just clean up the top of the block as best you can, copper spray the headgasket, and torque everything down to spec. It'll be fine.

Most "rules" are definitely better than nothing, but I'd suggest at least takng your rule to a machine shop to get it checked against a machinist's straight edge or surface plate. That should be doable, right?
good idea. maybe sweet talk the machinist into letting you borrow it to run home and check you deck if you throw him some $$

the head is more likely to warp than the block; just copper spray the HG and torque to spec/sequence

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That was an awesome idea!!!! Since my machinist has a big sign at the counter that says " I don't lend tools" along another ones..

I read the benefits of the copper spray, Still I contacted Cometic about copperspay their Hg, they said it's best not to, since their HG already have an adhesive dressing (the black coating)

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Basically to fast up times I have a spare Z6 head, which has been refreshed @machine shop so on saturday it will be matter of removing the current head, clean and check the block install the Cometic in and put the refreshed head on... the current will be taken to the machine to be pressurized etc...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts