• Neither

Votes: 36 58.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is sorta a broad post but I was just curious what your guys' opinion was on it. I have heard a lot of good things about posting your block but I never read anything on here about anybody doing it. What do you guys think of it?

Also, feel free to share what you think of block guards instead...

edit: here are the links to the product i was looking at and a write up on how to do it if you're also interested...

http://www.muller.net/sonny/crx/engine/posted.html

http://www.theoldone.com/components/Posts/endyn_block_post_kits.htm

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
it seems good in theory, couldn't say if it helps or not. I'd be curious to hear from others with 300+ whp that have or haven't done it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well sure, they have before.
But in my reading, i have read 350hp is around where you're pushing it and thats about where i hope to be.

·
10,488 Posts
Question is more, why not while the block is apart.
more trouble, cost, time. I dunno unless I seen some really good info to support doing it. I'd just leave it and the structure of the block alone. espically if people are holding 500whp with no problems to the block at all.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
based on what, people just throwing out that number. or series of peoples builds pushing over 350 cracking sleeves?
Just people throwing it out there, i suppose. Still enough to scare me though.
Plus I'm boring .20 over which doesnt help me any.
I guess its just I dont make much money and have put alot into the parts for my block... Just trying to be sure everything holds up as much as i can but cant afford sleeves.

·
10,488 Posts
Just people throwing it out there, i suppose. Still enough to scare me though.
Plus I'm boring .20 over which doesnt help me any.
I guess its just I dont make much money and have put alot into the parts for my block... Just trying to be sure everything holds up as much as i can but cant afford sleeves.

what's your goal? what turbo are you going to run?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Well Structurally speaking, the block guard distributes better the elastic force of metal along the circumference of the sleeve. The posting only holds a little portion.

Cooling wise. The blockguard restricts the coolant flow to the head.

I use a block guard, never had issues because of it. I installed a lot of years ago, coz I was reccomended to do so, and I was very ignorant about honda engines. If I could decide again I would leave the block as is.

There's no practical number for this device coz it can't be metered. I mean you can't dyno it or something. You would need a phisic lab and resemble a sleeve under a piston stress and measure metal dilatation with and without the block guard and of course the things complicates as you need to resemble cooling and cooling restriction too...

So I believe it's a matter of people results and stories, no real numbers.

To the Poster. If you are planning to build a engine that would pass the limit known for stock sleeves I say use them, otherwise keep your block stock and have fun.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
i vote posting but only if you are too damn paranoid. makes sense why to use block post's over shady block guards. but either way if you crack a sleeve blocks themselves are to damn cheap to worry about block guards etc..

·
Registered
91 CRX HF
1,040 Posts
When I built my engine I was one of those super paranoid people. I installed both posts and a block guard. I haven't had any overheating problems or anything else. In fact I destroyed a set of endyn roller wave pistons from detonation and didn't crack a sleeve. I did have to hone it, but I think it would have been worse without the added protection. If I were to do it over again, I would probably just post it. I like that they support the sleeve at 2 points (high and low) rather than just at the top of the sleeve.

See sig for my set-up

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Not worth it IMO.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Why does endyne do this instead of block guards? obviously it has more pro's than cons than the blockguard..
cause he likes old school tricks. :tt2:

well, lets break it down a bit...

pro =

1. doesnt block any coolent transfer holes between water jacket and head
  2. made of the same material compound as the block, so expansion rates are constant
cons =

1. only supports a minor part of the sleeve
  2. have to drill holes into the water jacket
GE block guard:

pro =

1. fully supports the upper most 1/4" of the sleeve
  2. doesn't block coolent tranfser holes to head from water jacket
cons =

1. not the same material as the block, so expansion rates are different
  2. possible damage to water jacket during install. block is still useable.
i am sure there are more, but lets just keep it very simple. neither is a good choice. if your going to do it, do it right and sleeve the block if your that scared about it. personally, i like guards over posts. but ehh.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
neither.. a bad tune= kill your stock sleeves no matter what you do to them....

a good tune= well you dont have to worry about your sleeves cracking if your tuned right.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
neither.. a bad tune= kill your stock sleeves no matter what you do to them....

a good tune= well you dont have to worry about your sleeves cracking if your tuned right.
Woa. Not sure how this thread popped back up. lol.
But I hope you're right. Because thats what I'm going with.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts