Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a d15b7 engine and if you put the throttle all the way down the car will crank,the rpms are slow to redline,if car goes to idle it cuts off.Recently
the car would not start unless there was carb cleaner put into throttle body.
There is coolant in the oil which makes me think that its the heads warped, or head gasket.Is there a good way to tell if the block is alright.thanks natecivic92

·
Registered
314 Posts
normally if there is coolant in the oil, you've got three tough options, the head, block, and gasket, unfortunately, you cannot observe the extent of the damage by looking at it, it will require at minimum for you to pull the head off to see where the leakage is coming from. Also perform a quick exterior check, where the head and block mate, for signs of leakage, this could help you determine where its coming from.

Also, before you pull the head, note how much coolant or oil was lost or mixed, and extra was added to replace the lost coolant, check for white paste on the oil filler cap and dipstick, as well as oil in the radiator fluid.

As far as damage, the pourous castings in the head should fail before the block cracks. i would be prepared to find a new head, and gasket for sure, but dont jump the gun, it might only be the gasket.

Look at the head for scouring marks, burnt valves, deformities compared to other cylinders, and leak paths, you can use infrared dye penetrants to observe fine cracks or leaks as well. If the motor was known to have overheated, id consider taking it all apart and either inspecting the parts or have it inspected.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts