Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(*EDIT: this is for D16Z6 block and head)

I had my block milled.

Timing is a little bit off from the marks. This picture shows where the cam gear timing mark ends up when I line up the oil pump mark

I am thinking I should retard a few degrees on my adjustable cam gear.

Is that correct?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

*NOTE: If i just try jumping a tooth on my timing belt, the mark just ends up on the other side of the correct timing mark

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I uave no clue what block, head, and cam gear type/fitment you are trying to use.... so, I couldn't tell you.... lol.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
D16Z6 Block and head (*added to original post)
Align to p28 offset position. Thats your new zero.

Before that, verify your aftermarket gears 0* position and include that in the offset.

You will effectively rotate the cam itself counter clockwise.

Manually align cam, unlock gear, don't let cam rotate, install belt, rotate gear outer ring to take up slack by turning crank to alignment mark.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,006 Posts
bisi cam gears are known to be off

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Align to p28 offset position. Thats your new zero.

Before that, verify your aftermarket gears 0* position and include that in the offset.

You will effectively rotate the cam itself counter clockwise.

Manually align cam, unlock gear, don't let cam rotate, install belt, rotate gear outer ring to take up slack by turning crank to alignment mark.
I don't know what the "p28 offset" is.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I don't know what the "p28 offset" is.
Look at the plastic cover behind the cam gear.

The two that are on either end level with the head are "P08" as marked, and the offset one down under the gear if you look it will be marked "P28" on the plastic cover. These denote where to line up cam on which engine type.

Try installing with a "PM3B" oem cam gear first to verify your gear isn't horribly out of whack.

·
Registered
an ej8 coupe
553 Posts
Great so what should I do? Put back on stock gear?
learning to degree the cam will help. most aftermarket cam gears can be off even the slightest amount. that coupled with an aftermarket cam and the true tdc could be off quite a bit.

put the stock gear back on without the bolt and the timing belt off
align cam shaft to factory tdc mark with stock gear then remove it
loosen 3 locking bolts on bisi gear and install it without rotating camshaft
put crank at top dead center
install timing belt and rotate the outer cam gear ring slightly either way so that you'll have proper belt tension
tighten the 3 locking bolts

when its all together the gear will look a couple degrees advanced or retarded, but the cam and crank will both be at tdc.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Wow, bisi's cam gear looks ~4.5* off... or more.

By chance did u get a Y8 model by accident?

Post up the adv/ret value once its zeroed out as per the above post explaining the process. ;)

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Compare Adjustable came gear to factory cam gear.

Mark aftermarket cam gear as 0 when it is in the same position as factory cam gear.

Advance adjustable cam gear 1 degree (from new 0) for every .012" you removed from the block+head+headgasket.

Profit.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
That isnt enough to greatly change things. My head is milled .095" and I still use an OEM cam gear and it basically lines up perfectly still. Nothing like what you have going on there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts