Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic EX
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are block guards necessary for high hp(400+whp) builds? Ive read alot of mixed threads and reviews about them, does anyone here have experience usng them? Pro's? Con's? Any good info. would be appriciated.

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
block guards are not good for a high horse power engine. they make the top of the cylinder hotter than it would normally be, causing detonation.

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
2,469 Posts
yea, i wud think the excess heat would cause nothing but problems

do u really plan on going over 400hp
that is from 9 years ago! re: NuFormz old blockguards, like Race Engineering's offerings.

The proper design and installation process has been settled by this point, id' hope!
here is a nice example of a perfectly good block guard -

block guards if designed properly and installed properly are fine. they make what was an open deck a closed deck. The problems have been from improperly installed and designed units.
Truthfully, i don't think it'll hurt to use one the right way, but 400whp should probably have sleeves. Why short-cut and run stock cylinders?

·
i shoot stuff
2,422 Posts
yea i see exactly where you are coming from. i agree that stock sleeves at that power range should be reinforced, its just all i hear about them is overheating problems

edit i also think 400 hp on a d is pushing it, if its a daily driver

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
2,469 Posts
edit i also think 400 hp on a d is pushing it, if its a daily driver
i agree 100%

it's not sensible IMO, but whatever hehe...

maybe having a setup that makes 225-250whp on the street and can be boosted up w appropriate swtiched program on race fuel to hit 400whp, but 400 for everyday is silly on an fwd.

a 250whp D is pretty damn nasty, esp. for the street.

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic EX
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea, i wud think the excess heat would cause nothing but problems

do u really plan on going over 400hp
Yes I plan on going over 400hp. Im shooting for 350whp on pump gas and 400+ on C16. The car is not daily driven, it see's maybe 2-3k miles a year. 225-250whp is old news, after driving the car for a year with that kinda hp it feels like a turd, used to it. Time to step up the hp.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
I think the key to running a block guard would be to find someone who has one on their DD that doesn't overheat, then find out what they got, etc etc. In all honesty, I've seen several different designs and a few of them you could tell by looking at them that its a bad design, so I'm guessing thats where they get a bad rep. They can't be all bad if people are running them and not having problems. I thought several people on here ran block guards?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.