Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the purpose of the block guard? Is it to space the pistons from the valves in case of a blow out? just curious. Thanks. :confused: :alky:

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
oh alright, kool. is it a good investment? i only have stock with cold air.
no need with those mods it's a 400+HP problem

·
Registered
HX
16 Posts
if you're keeping your motor stock, there is absolutely no point in getting a block guard. if you're building your motor for higher hp applications, the issue of the block guard is still debatable, as some people say that it doesn't allow adaquate cooling and that sleeving is the way to go...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright, thanks, i'm not keeping it completely stock, but i'm sure i'm never gonna see it near 400 hp. i'll buy a better car for that.

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
it all depends on personal preferance and opinions really and real life experiances (running/building a motor ect...)
there are plenty of 400+ whp guys running around with b.g's
i personally on my 300+build am running one....my next build i will run a sleeved z6

·
Registered
869 Posts
I not using one on my 250whp build should need it that would the last thing I would buy if i had left over money

·
Registered
69 Posts
No need for a block guard, ever. The stock sleeves will not be able to hold any more pressure with one than without. Save your money and spend it on something that will actually help.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The block guard is more for preserving head gaskets than preventing sleeve failure. If you are running high boost, it is important to prevent sleeve walk which causes premature head gasket failure. Either turn down the timing, or fortify your block...

I personally don't like the idea of block posting because it creates pressure points on the sleeve.

Honestly, a good tune is better insurance than even a sleeved block. You will still blow your shit up if you act retarded.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dammm good info thanks a lot

i have to agree, i know my way around a car to fix almost everything, but there's somethings that i'm not to knowledgable about. like motor building n such. i understand the basic concepts behind most, thank to everyone who helped clear this question up!, Represent! Thanks.

·
Registered
943 Posts
The block guard is more for preserving head gaskets than preventing sleeve failure. If you are running high boost, it is important to prevent sleeve walk which causes premature head gasket failure. Either turn down the timing, or fortify your block...
:TU: That's why i'm running a block guard. With a lot of boost and high rpms I think the cylinders are going to move around a little.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts