Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did a top end re build on my d16y8 : Crower springs and retainers, valve job and head milled down because it was warped. Arp head studs and full street pro cometic gasket kit. Kept the bottom end all stock with 227k miles. Yes I broke the top end in and i know i should have refreshed the bottom end. Motor had full amount of oil. I was going down the highway at 65 mph 5th gear and the rod went through the block. Whats everyone think the reason why the rod went??

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
so you don't think it was because the top end was built up a little and the bottom end was stock? I believe it was oil pump but no oil light came on prior to it blowing up.
No, your bottom end let go due to an issue in the bottom end. If something had seized in the top end you would have snapped the timing belt or sheared teeth off of it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, your bottom end let go due to an issue in the bottom end. If something had seized in the top end you would have snapped the timing belt or sheared teeth off of it.
Thats what I figured but all my friends said since I built the top end and not the bottom end, it blew up.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
your friends don't know what they're talking about.

usually a d16y will make a really loud noise from the bearing spinning before the rod just lets go, but I guess not in this case

1 - 6 of 6 Posts