Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys. i finally finished my car for eibach and blew the turbo on the way there.

92 Si hatch
D16A (same as d16z6)
stock motor stock fuel pump
stock map
9psi tial open dump
car made 187hp on a garrett t3 60trim with no exhaust on. open downpipe

So it took us about 10 dyno pulls to figure everything out...
I had a forum member here make me a plug and play restrictor box and after hours of trying to figure out why it kept blowing out spark.
The restrictor box had two reversed wires..
Tuner fixed them and car made 189 with a dip.
then we made a smoother run at 187 so we kept it.

Next day on the way to eibach (first day of me ripping on it at all)
I pulled through all the gears fine.. then felt a stutter when i hit 5th.
after that NO boost. the turbo was STARVED of oil.
anyways..
I sent the turbo out to be rebuilt I already got it back but im trying to figure out why im barely getting an ooze out of my oil feed...
Not much pressure at all...
forgot to mention that my oil feed stuck to my dump tube on the way to the tuners and melted the outer black plastic. we ziptied it to the core support before dyno
Im running a go auto triple black oil line kit..
I believe its a -3AN feed.
The guy who sold me the turbo said to run a 069 restrictor so i did..
I plan on ditching the restrictor. after i feel comfortable with the oil feed im going to my tuners to have him test my oil pressure at the turbo..

I took everything apart checked for blocks.. couldnt find anything...
I tested it in a bottle and it barely oozed after priming..

My real question here is How much oil should be coming out of my -3AN line?
should it be a constant squirt.. or just ooze out..???
I tested by pulling all the plug wires and cranking..
Im running it off the ops is it possible that that port is clogged? or semi blocked i cant see up in there to tell.
I have a glowshift sandwich plate and if i cant get it figured out like that i was thinking of seeing if the sandwich plate will give me more then an ooze.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill try to get some help to have someone crank while i film right now

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
for some reason the video wont upload on imageshack.
Ill have to try again later

·
Retired From Hondas
2,795 Posts
If you have a journal bearing anything over 80psi at cold start or WOT requires a restricter.

If your under 80, just run the line and ur good to go

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
most likely you dont need the restrictor. sounds like your motor doesnt pump crazy pressure. if it appears to be starved for oil.

(SOUNDS is all we get when its an internet diag. lol)

all in all, toss a gauge on and verify.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does anyone believe that it is possible that my ops port is some what blocked? and maybe i could get better pressure running my glowshift sandwich plate???

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
i use to think my turbo needed a restrictor but now im running open downpipe with a ported pump and my oil pressure gauge maxes out every day 100+ psi when cold. i have yet to see any smoke. turbo is years old also

you may have starved the oil by installing a restrictor. check oil pressure at the oil line outlet. it should be the same at the gauge or a little less. if you are getting good oil pressure then check drain thats it

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you may have starved the oil by installing a restrictor. check oil pressure at the oil line outlet. it should be the same at the gauge or a little less. if you are getting good oil pressure then check drain thats it
this is exactly the plan.
The guy who built my turbo originally and he rebuilt it said there is no way it blew simply because of a restrictor..
However i believe it could be a combination of the restrictor and a blockage..
he said it got NO oil at one point.. or barely any due to the damage that was there.
His name is Sd-ek on h-t he sells lots of turbos and alot of people have said good things about him.
I trust him and dont think he would lie to me.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Your line probably melted. Same thing happened to a friend, it touched his manifold and melted, blocked oil flow.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i thought about that i pushed a metal welding rod through and felt no snag near the melted area...
Im curious if the line is a plastic or metal tube on the inside of the braided wire.

·
Registered
510 Posts
with a -3an typically no restrictor, unless you run it and find its pushing some oil out the turbo. oil should be flowing out of the line when the engine is running, it "should" be under a bunch of pressure...

I know you don't have a oil pressure gauge yet. Just some info for you. I had my oil pressure T'd off of my turbo feed line(-3an)(no restrictor, journaled), which came off the block. It read about 10psi lower than the other gauge I had running off a sandwich plate.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
with a -3an typically no restrictor, unless you run it and find its pushing some oil out the turbo. oil should be flowing out of the line when the engine is running, it "should" be under a bunch of pressure...

I know you don't have a oil pressure gauge yet. Just some info for you. I had my oil pressure T'd off of my turbo feed line(-3an)(no restrictor, journaled), which came off the block. It read about 10psi lower than the other gauge I had running off a sandwich plate.
That's good to know maan I think I'm fling to try the sandwich plate today..
And see how much oil comes out the line..

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
-3an needs no restrictor for journal bearing turbo.
real silicon lined feed won't melt, i have over 2 years of daily driving in miserably hot socal with with the line against the manifold.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I'm in socal too.. it was a line from go auto it melted the outer black coating..
I didn't feel a snag where the melt was when ivshoved a welding rod down my line

1 - 17 of 17 Posts