Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been on in a while, but this makes for a good time to start up again....

The other night I was on the highway, probably pushing the car a little harder than I should have been, when the motor gave out. I turned it over again on the shoulder, but it had a really bad mechanical rattle under the valve cover.

I got it towed to my buddy's shop and he looked at it at confirmed it was toast. I'm looking for a new motor asap. I'm hoping to get some advice and suggestions regarding a few things.

It's a 96 Civic Si (EX in the US), D16y8. It had ~251,000 km before last night. I'm concidering several options, and was hoping to get some good advice and suggestions.

1. Keep it simple. Get another D16y8 and drop it in. It's cheap, and requires the least amount of work. And for a student with a $20,000+ a year tuition, this sounds like a good idea. I'm guessing it'll be around $400-$500 for the motor.

-note: From calling around it turns out the D15B is actually cheaper.... go figure....

2. Improve a little? Get a JDM D15B and drop that in. I know that they're around $600 CAN. Question is, is it worth it? Are they that much better than the y8? What are the advantages of dropping in a D15B over the y8? And if I do go with a D15, are the parts interchangeable? (ie, can I walk into my local parts shop and tell them I'm looking for parts for a D16y8 and use those same parts on the D15?)

3. Put in a D16z6? Differences between the two in power are almost non existent. And I know that the D16z6 is stronger in general than the D16y8, especially if I decide to boost (but not likely). Cost is the same as the y8, but I'd have to get the OBD1 comp for it too. Any reason why I would concider the z6?

Thanks for the help.

Curlybandit

·
Premium Member
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
youd have to do the same for swapping in a z6 as you would for the jdm d15b....
if you want "jdm" get a zc vtec.... otherwise i say just throw a y8 in..

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX Coupe
579 Posts
Id just get a D15B longblock and drop it in. Since youre probably wanting to keep it OBD2, use the OBD2 disty and injectors on the D15B and you wont have any problems.

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
To simplify problems for you....and since ur in School.....hehe..i understand were u are comming from.....just put in another "good" Y8......MAKE SURE....u dont EVER....run more than 1 quart low in that fucking engine....make sure u keep the oil pump nice and happy.....at all times.....i have done this...and yet to see any problems.....the dip stick is acutaly loctated in the oil pump as well....so when it gets a quart low....it shows low on the dip stick, which is very interesting as well......all in all....feed that fucker with oil...never let it get low.....and for simplicity like i said.....go with another D16y8.....do some work to it while its out as well.....hehe nice P&p job...does wonders.....and head studs.....anyways....lil info.. later

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just bought a '95 JDM D15B. It's going into my '96 tomorrow.

Reactions: green_hornet_96
1 - 9 of 9 Posts