Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did a 550hp pull yesterday and blew the hg. What do you guys think? I was planning on just getting a y8 head gasket and going back to the dyno.

This first cylinder pic is with no oil in it, I wiped it clean. The second cylinder pic is after I wiped them down with oil.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
4,831 Posts
Looks like some pitting in this cylinder. Can you feel it with your nail?

Also what was the cause of the HG problem, too much timing and detonation became a problem?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like some pitting in this cylinder. Can you feel it with your nail?

Also what was the cause of the HG problem, too much timing and detonation became a problem?
I don't think its pitting, I cannot feel it at all with my fingernail.

Looks just fine to me. The only thing is I don't see a breach in the head gasket. You can see combustion bypass though. This suggests the head or block might be warped or head lift.
John at jk tuning thinks it was the felpro hg. I torqued it to 62 ft/lb. Resurfaced head and block. New ARP's. He told me to get an oem hg and retorque to 80 ft/lb on headstuds and try again. What do you guys think?

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
John at jk tuning thinks it was the felpro hg. I torqued it to 62 ft/lb. Resurfaced head and block. New ARP's. He told me to get an oem hg and retorque to 80 ft/lb on headstuds and try again. What do you guys think?
I say head lift (too much boost, ignition, or not enough TQ on the bolts) was an issue, didn't you say you was pressurizing the coolant system when you was seeing boost?

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
After mine blew on the dyno like yours, I went with a new OEM HG and NEW ARPs. Instead of the recommended 62/64 ft lbs, I went with 70ft lbs after three heat cycles. Never had issues thereafter. Of course, I didn't really see full boost on the high boost setting but a few times at the track though. I didn't check my head or deck for flatness because I knew it was the tune; too much advance timing causing ONLY the intake side to unseal on all 4 cylinders on e85.

I can tell you this, do it right or end up doing it over and over again. So do everything you can with the motor apart to get it right this time. Though some say the Fel-Pro worked for them on their builds, might not work well on yours.

What size bores? 76mm?

Keep us updated!

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
i just changed my headgasket yesterday, idk what caused it because im only making around 160hp. when i pulled the head bolts they felt like they were on way tighter than the 49 ft lbs vs when i put the new arp studs in and torqued to 60 ft lbs, also i was reading you dont want to over torque the arp studs because your not gaining any more clamping force and also your just putting more stress on the studs

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
i just changed my headgasket yesterday, idk what caused it because im only making around 160hp. when i pulled the head bolts they felt like they were on way tighter than the 49 ft lbs vs when i put the new arp studs in and torqued to 60 ft lbs, also i was reading you dont want to over torque the arp studs because your not gaining any more clamping force and also your just putting more stress on the studs

I heard the same. Over torque will cause to much stretch on the stud and make it weak. I torqued mine to 60 lbs-ft

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
I torque mine to 65lbs.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts