Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dunno if this is better suited in the noob forum, but anyway...

I'm shit with words so I'll do my best to explain it....
At the mo I currently use a bleed valve to gain more boost. Obviously, it bleeds air to atmosphere as soon as I start to give it some gas.
So, is there any way that I can prevent that air escaping until it reaches the point where it needs to vent it to gain the extra boost? That way, decreasing lag maybe?
Or would it be such a negliagable amount it's not worth bothering with.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I've had too many fail in the past. Plus I'm a tight cunt and don't want to spend the money.
EBC's are cheap, if you are tuned on the right software. A Mac valve is $20 bucks or so and the kit to add PWM is $10ish

Such as? I've seen these ones that work on the Dawes method, but that's not quite what I'm after.
Just Google MBC or Manual Boost Controller

·
Registered
231 Posts
You want a ball and spring type MBC by the sound of things.

I've used both a bleed valve and ball and spring type MBC. I preferred the ball and spring due to the reason you want it for.

The bleed valve i have now spikes alot when it comes 'on' boost initially.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thing is, Ill still need to bleed off some air to gain boost. Is there such a thing as a bleed valve with spring system?

·
Registered
231 Posts
The difference in spool time between a bleed valve and normal MBC is negligible IMO.

If that's what you're trying to say anyway.

It's worth trying for £13 off ebay or try a mates...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Err, not really.

Because im running an internal gate and a non adjustable actuator, to up the boost, I need to bleed off some air.
So what happens is, as soon as you start to give it gas, air is being bled to atmosphere. Air which could really be fed to the turbo to quicken spool.
For the sake of a few quid, i might give the mbc a go before the bleed valve. I have a good boost cut tuned into the map, so I should be good setting it up.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My volvo was/is the same, as its the stock turbo.

That's my experience with both types anyway. I plan to go back to a ball and spring when i have a spare few pennies.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im guessing the MBC wont allow you to vent though? So it'll only let you run actuator pressure?

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
the manual boost controller blocks the wastegate from seeing any pressure until the ball and spring are overcome by boost pressure. so say your spring is 7psi and you set your mbc to 8psi, your wastegate wont open at 7psi because it takes 8psi to open the ball and spring then that air rushes to the wastegate and opens it. also this does not bleed off any air and i have read that it increases spool time by a little as your wastegate doesnt slowly start to open before the "7psi".

i wouldnt buy an ebay one because they can cause boost spikes and you cant really tell how much you adjust them, most good manual boost controls have a click for each turn you adjust it and if im not mistaken one click is usually 1psi increase

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
Google "how to make a manual ball and spring boost controller"

Yes, they have bleed valves, but its purpose is so that pressure doesnt get trapped between the MBC and the WG, holding it open.

It will cost you less than $5. The trick is to make the ball as light as possible. Steel ball bearings dont work very well.

·
Registered
316 Posts
turbosmart states that their mbc can increase pressure by 200% for an internal gate and 100% for a external gate
This is what I run. Without it i would get 15-16 psi before my wastegate would open (internal) and have had it adjusted up past 28 psi.....but first pull stopped at about 28 psi when things went bad lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts