Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
GTI 337
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm driving a 95 Del Sol with a D16Z6 that as I was told was rebuilt about 4 or 5K ago. If I hammer on the car (which I don't do very often) after it hits 4k RPMs and gets into Vtec I get a little black smoke out of the exhaust, any idea why this is and what I can do about it?

·
Registered
GTI 337
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as I can tell the Vtec is working, because you can hear the change in pitch in the exhaust. It's a Z6 head and block as far as I know, and I have no idea which ecu it is, where is the ECU marked so I can find out?

·
Registered
GTI 337
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, heres the info from the tag on the side of my ECU.
37820-P28-A02
760-322741
AWL

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Okay, seems like everything is up to par...now to get down what the problem is. Stuck open injector or fuel pressure regulator?

·
Registered
GTI 337
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The FPR or a stuck OPEN injector would cause black smoke while vtec is on? That's weird, I have another set of injectors in a box in my truck that apparently only have like 30K on them, should I swap them in and do a new FPR while I'm at it?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
MakE sUrE Da VteC bE poPpin

but in all seriousness, it sounds normal to me. You dont get on your car very much and carbon can build up. Then when you do get into it hard it burns off.

·
Registered
GTI 337
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, if it's nothing threatening to the life of the car then i'm cool with it, I just want to stay on top of everything now that I finally figured out my idle issue, it's running like a dream now and I want to keep it that way.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
What's the trick to see if your FPR is good, pop off the vac line and what? Can't remember what's supposed to happen and what means a good or bad one...help plz!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Honestly, just pay the $50-100 to get the car dynoed, then you'll know if it's something to worry about or not.

You can verify that the car is going into vtec and see what your A/F ratios are all at the same time.:TU:

Do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts