Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im pretty sure my plugs are getting a little old. I'll be dynoing this month some time so Im getting new plugs and a fresh oil change and all that good stuff. Which plugs should I go with for a sohc zc vtec (z6) at 10lbs? I've read that zfr6j-11 is fine but then I've read that BKR7E-11's are good too...but I've always been under the impression that the BKR7E-11's were for B series. Is that true or are they a good plug to use with a z6? And if I went 2 step colder, would it hurt performace any since I should only be making around 200-215whp? Or should I just stick with 1 step colder? Just need some goooood plugs that aren't going to end up running hot on me and that will give good spark as well.

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
can someone identify the ngk number that determines the heat range, i will need to pick up some plugs for my build, but the guys at our o'reillys are dip shits and dont know.

sorry i cant help you man

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the part that determines the range is the number 7 in bkr7e-11 and the number 6 in zfr6f-11 and that sort. The higher the number, the colder it is. B series come from the factory at a 6 already while sohc's come with a 5. I think it's only VTEC B's that come with 6's though. I need to know if I would really need 2 step cooler or if 1 step is fine for 10lbs. I live in Al

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
bkr7e-11
14mm, 3/4" reach, 5/8" hex, gasket seat, resistor, ISO length, projected tip, V-power (v-grooved center electrode), .044" gap

bcpr7es-11
14mm, 3/4" reach, 5/8" hex, gasket seat, resistor, JIS height, projected tip, .044"gap

Honestly Ryan I couldnt find many differences in them except that the bkr7e-11 seem to be a v power plug and that they are the iso length.

(ISO (International Standards Organization) is an international organization which establishes standards for the production of automobiles and there parts. The ISO height for a spark plug from the seat to the top of the terminal nut is 50.5mm (1.98")

JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) is a Japanese organization which establishes standards for the production of Japanese automobiles and there parts. The JIS height for a spark plug from the seat to the top of the terminal nut is 53mm (2.086")

Back when I had my jrsc on the car, the bcpr7es-11s are what jackson racing suggested i run for my set up. when i switched over to the turbo set up I talked to the tuner that was going to tune my car and he said to stick with the same plugs. they have worked out for me just fine. i might try for the hell of it the other plugs you suggested.

if anyone knows more differences between these plugs, please inform me as I would like to know.

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
the part that determines the range is the number 7 in bkr7e-11 and the number 6 in zfr6f-11 and that sort. The higher the number, the colder it is. B series come from the factory at a 6 already while sohc's come with a 5. I think it's only VTEC B's that come with 6's though. I need to know if I would really need 2 step cooler or if 1 step is fine for 10lbs. I live in Al
hey man your not all that far from me. maybe an hour or 2. im in huntsville

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
6's come in alot of OEM honda applications and 5's are standard in most single cam's. To go any colder then an OEM plug, here are the numbers you will need

BKR7ES 1 step colder

R5672A-8. 2 steps colder

R5672A-9 3 steps colder

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well not really...I mean a 6 would be 1 step cooler on a D. I guess really Im wondering if I would be better to go with a 6 or a 7. I've got 6's in right now and they don't look to bad but Im only at 8lbs. Im bumping up to 10lbs when I dyno later this month.

·
Registered
98 Lx sedan
301 Posts
I ran the bkr7e-11 in my Z6 with a JRSC at 7psi with a blaster coil gapped at .028". Mine actually came gapped at .044" from Advance Auto. 10 months, 700 miles a week, no problems. Be running the same plugs when I get the charger back on at 9-10 psi. Is there a price difference. the V-powers are $1.99 each. thats why I get them.

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well I just got some zfr6f-11's from advance. Got all four and a gapper for $9 something. Not bad. And they're 1 step colder which should be fineee for 8-10lbs I think. But can anyone tell me what it means if I have a little bit of a red tint on the electrodes of my old plugs I pulled out? It's not THAT noticable but it's there. And the gap had gone all the way out to like .041 on them lol. Gapped the new ones to .030-.031. Going to put them in now. I wanna know about my old plugs still

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bkr7e is 2 steps cooler. Stock for our little D's are the 5 heat range. bkr7e's are 1 step colder on a b16 b/c the stock b16 plug use the 6 heat range. Anyone know about my old plugs?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts