Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Affected by the dreaded pitting. Only on the 2 exhaust lobes of cylinder 4. Not happy, but at this point in time, not surprised.

Ran Castrol GTX, with added ZDDP since day 1. Frequent oil changes. 2 valve adjustments a year. Supertech springs. 8k rpm redline.

Car still runs great. Gonna swap on another set of rockers latter this year, if not a new cam as well.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
You will be even more pissed when you look at the rocker pads, and wonder to yourself, "where the hell did all that metal go??"

Might as well hit up the junk yard and source out some new to you rockers while you can. They are getting more and more rare to find. Pick n pull sells a set for like $20.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will be even more pissed when you look at the rocker pads, and wonder to yourself, "where the hell did all that metal go??"

Might as well hit up the junk yard and source out some new to you rockers while you can. They are getting more and more rare to find. Pick n pull sells a set for like $20.
Part of the reason for more oil changes lol Ive got a set or 2 on hand. But yeah, Im trying to stock up on stuff like that when they have the 1/2 off holiday sales at the pull-a-part.
Just a few years ago, I could go in there and get 2-3 virgin P28s at a time....

·
Registered
Civic/4Runner
137 Posts
cheap recycled Chinese steel would be the cause of this, and just down right poor quality part. I've heard bisi has done nothing but self destruct in the last year or two.

·
Registered
477 Posts
yet another bisifroto cam self destructing.. Who would have thought that would happen lol

how many miles did it make it?

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its been in the car about 4 years. I do have a fair amount of miles on it, dd for 20k ish. And about 150 passes down the 1/8th mile lol Idk if it was done by WEB or what, ordered from Bisi.

Ive monitored the pitting over the years. Twice annual valve adjustments. Really hasent got this bad till this past year. Figured it was time for some pics. It started minor pitting about half way thru its life.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Damn, gotta love my stock cam. =)

·
Registered
Ek sedan
382 Posts

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Wide Notec Lobes FTW..

These small vtec lobes can't support high pressure of modded cams. hell they can barely support the stock cam. They wear and require adjustment every 30k stock.

Even with ZDDP it wears.

You need the right tool for the job.

No bottle of mystery fluid will fix that.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
has anyone tried using JUST the middle vtec roller rocker from a vtec-E, or is that not possible due to the layout?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Not Possible.. Dont Fit

I posted a think on Roller/Flat compatibility and Vtec E a while ago... I'm looking around myself for a Z1/Y5 head..

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Not to go off topic..

But I remember when Bisi had a editorial page on honda tuning mag for 2 issues.. That didnt last too long as he was replaced by Ryan @Rywire. Probably got alot of 'fan' mail! LOL

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
Not Possible.. Dont Fit

I posted a think on Roller/Flat compatibility and Vtec E a while ago... I'm looking around myself for a Z1/Y5 head..
what about the 3 stage vtec obd2 stuff? are they roller?

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Yes. All 3 stage motors (Y5, Z1) have roller rockers. In case of Y5, it's the P2J( Y8 ) head casting with the roller rocker assembly. In case of the Z1, it has the P07 casting with physically smaller ports and combustion chamber.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Why am i not surprise. How many miles is on the cam? I am running rocket billet cam that has kind of similar specs to 2.4

1 - 20 of 25 Posts