Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
EG Hatch
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2.4 cam a few years back.. have about 8k miles on it.. gnarly pitting on a few of the non-vtec lobes. I'll post pics later. I've been running brad Penn syn blend from day one.. cam is fucked. Anywhere I can go to get this thing repaired?

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
if you find a place that can, let me know.
I've got an unknown regrind for a b2 sitting in my garage with the same problem...

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
I called Web directly, they said it can most likely be repaired no problem. But.. I'll have to shell out for it.
Web is a great company. But man you will have to give them your left testicale for anything from them

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Pitting shows a defect in the crystalline structure of the steel in the core.

How many OEM cams PIT??

They wear, but don't pit, showing a homogeneous crystal structure.

Cams that pit are irregular in crystal composition.

Forming several small Hard crystals before the overall crystal formed shows that the blank was cooled too rapidly. (Cheaper Manufacturing)

You can observe this at home by making rock candy and cooling half fast and the other half slowly.

I'd take the Cam to Bisi shop and smack him in the head with it. A La Cane from the Bible. Hahah

It took at Comp 59300 almost 60k miles to pit. Funny enough it was on the exhaust lobe as well.

All adds to idea that if you want your SOHC cams (Especially true for Vtecs with skinny lobes) to last. Use a stock Cam, or go non-Vtec to gain some surface area and lower pressures on your valve train.

Using aftermarket cams will require more frequent lash adjustments, increasing with cam profile. Because something is wearing out. Stiff springs wear even FASTER.

Honda had a warranty they were willing to back up!!

Bisi is just laughing as he spends your money.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,294 Posts
Bisi: There is a new Gude in town......

I wonder the if the Bisi Spec'd cams were not properly heat treated per his request?

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
When web repairs it, are they going to weld and regrind?
I would ASSume that it is hard wielded then reground back to its original profile unless they just send you a new core. Bad Chinese blanks are probably to blame.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
My Bisi is also pitting on the ex lobes, cyl # 3 or 4, dont remember atm. I adj my lash 2x a year (atleast), replaced my LMA's once, and run GTX with half a bottle of zddp per oil change.

Didnt start pitting till 15-20k miles on the setup, including Supertech springs. Im at ~30k now, gotta yank the rocker assem. soon and see what going on. Its getting noisier.

What cyl are yalls pitting on?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I bet they are Blueing.

I wonder what the limiting factor of D's in the future will be, Rockers, Cranks, or Gears, Cams or other things like Shift forks, and how long until quality aftermarket becomes a reality.

Probably in 20 years when y'all are older.

ZDDP is a Gimmick.

On 2 and 3 is most common. Maybe go a thou. Looser on the Exhaust rockers for those cylinders for good luck in the future.

It will always wear.

Honda Accepts this in the FSM.

It is Inevitable.

Hahahahah

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
Considering Delta cam uses the same profile for their 272-2 cam, they might be worth a call. At the least they'd just grind those two lobes back into spec with a smaller base circle. At most they could grind all of the exhaust lobes & heat treat them. Their inductive process can focus on one lobe at a time if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I am surprised no one is making decent non bank breaking roller rockers for Bs and Fs....

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
Consider this:

1) Delta can make cams for F23 & D16Y5 heads , which happen to use OEM Roller Rockers

2) The F23 head flows better than F22 heads (until you pay someone $700+ to do a race-only port job on the F22A)

3) the Y5 uses the same head casting as the Y8 head, meaning it's just as capable

If so few have followed through with those options, I wouldn't expect any company to make a dime on aftermarket roller rockers.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
I am surprised no one is making decent non bank breaking roller rockers for Bs and Fs....
Honda did, from 92-00 in the form of the d15z1 and d16y5

for some reason noone seems to think a roller rocker cam can be made for these though

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Out of all people, you Trust Delta, HiProfile?

So you want them to fix it since they make a copy?

Their copy hold up even less good than the Bisi.

They couldn't/didn't even come up with a profile in the first place.

Not to mention calling every one of their shit-sticks 262-272-282 and not even having the specs since all they do is copy shit. Shittily

Since when does Y5/Z1 stuff fit into B and Fs?

Since when is there a large surplus of these Rollers?

When's the last time some of these have been produced?

When has someone taken the initiative to design a good profile for those rollers that is not ECO based?

When has someone taken the time to create drop in replacements for D series rockers?

Because D series is ruled by a bunch of poor ass stupid arrogant hacks that want the absolute cheapest most aggressive pos they can get their hands on.

*coughVitaracough*

Honda people do NOT work together. It's everyone against the other, and if someone DOES find something they are stuck up little ***** about it, with a few exceptions.

I'm just about burnt out with this scene and the babys in it.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Out of all people, you Trust Delta, HiProfile?

So you want them to fix it since they make a copy?

Their copy hold up even less good than the Bisi.

They couldn't/didn't even come up with a profile in the first place.

Not to mention calling every one of their shit-sticks 262-272-282 and not even having the specs since all they do is copy shit. Shittily

Since when does Y5/Z1 stuff fit into B and Fs?

Since when is there a large surplus of these Rollers?

When's the last time some of these have been produced?

When has someone taken the initiative to design a good profile for those rollers that is not ECO based?

When has someone taken the time to create drop in replacements for D series rockers?

Because D series is ruled by a bunch of poor ass stupid arrogant hacks that want the absolute cheapest most aggressive pos they can get their hands on.

*coughVitaracough*

Honda people do NOT work together. It's everyone against the other, and if someone DOES find something they are stuck up little ***** about it, with a few exceptions.

I'm just about burnt out with this scene and the babys in it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts