Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
EG Hatch
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I want to start off saying that this is not a bash on Luis, or Dustin at Performance Porting because they are both awesome dudes. They were extremely understanding, empathetic, and helpful.

This cam came out of a head that Dustin built, and Luis purchased about 2 years ago. For what ever reason, Luis never used the head and it just sat in its box on his shelf for those 2 years. I recently purchased the head and upon arrival everything looked good but I couldn't see the cam very well for obvious reasons.

I had also purchased a 272.2 cam on here so before I installed the head I went swap cams.

The rocker assembly was loose, as in, the tappets/nuts were backed out, there was no spring pressure on anything. I removed the assembly to find the thrust collar busted and a huge chunk of a lobe missing. The pieces were lying in assembly lube that had basically dried up and turned extra thick and sticky. There is no sign of damage to anything else in or on the head.

Some of you will know that I recently sent in a 2.4 with massive wearing of the exhaust lobes street 8400 miles.

And now I have a 2.0 that arrived in a head in pieces.

So, once again, I call up Debbie at Web cams. She is super nice. The conclusion with the 2.4 was that they could make me a new one for $260.. I say thanks but, that's bullshit, no thanks. The conclusion with the 2.0 is that, oh, it looks like it was damaged in shipping, bummer. Let us know if you want us to make one for you.

In comparison, my 272.2 showed up with a little brown paper wrapping it, freely bouncing around in a delta cam box. No padding what so ever. No damage, of course.
Meanwhile, the head was exquisitely packed in all sorts of Styrofoam.

I called up delta and they said they'd fix both of them for less than the 1 cam. So.. I'm still thinking about that..

If I get the 2.4 fixed I'm gonna back to back dyno it with the 272.2 and then keep the 272.2 either way while selling off both bisi cams.

The thing is, my goal was to sell the 2.0, and never need to buy the 272.2 in the first place..
And after this review, no one will want to buy them! Haha

Bottom line, Fuck Web Cam's shitty billets.
I originally thought that bisi supplied the blanks but, Debbie says they order them themselves, 100 at a time.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Oh hell! And everyone says they are tits but now we know this isn't a bisi issue. Its Web! Every "Bisi" cam that fucks up can and should be traced back to Web then.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Delta Has Cores too.

The Core they had, had a very porus surface, that they said they will grind smooth to reproduce a "3.6"

It almost looked cast... the metal is impure, or at least not homogenous. Look between the lobes at the metal surface. No to mention the stress-risers, and grainy-ness.

I was so turned off by the raw surface texture that I declined the offer, getting the 272-2 "2.4" regrind. Which I'm pretty sure isn't the same at all, and the ramp rates are too fast, The lobe gets narrow ovaled to fake the profile and beats up your rockers.

Effectively polishing crap, still a piece of crap. Funny you look up "Cam Billet" on google images and the first pic is a Bisi Cam from D series in half.

There's only so many factories making the same thing over there in China.

It's like communist, not like capitalist where there is competition to get in the way of production.

Delta, Web, and Bisi likely get all the same cores. They are Middle men. Didn't you guys sell weed during middle school or anything?

Probably from Alibaba

Check it out

XINYU Manufacturing

The only Real way to do it is with a stock core that gets Re-hardened.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Too bad we couldn't buy blanks straight from Honda

·
Registered
Ek sedan
382 Posts
Some people talk so much shit about delta cams but I have yet to see one in pieces like I have the more expensive web and bisi cams every week. Never heard anything bad about colt either but they aren't exactly cheap.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Some people talk so much shit about delta cams but I have yet to see one in pieces like I have the more expensive web and bisi cams every week. Never heard anything bad about colt either but they aren't exactly cheap.
Proabably because the vaast majority of Deltas cams are used OEM cores which weren't garbage to begin with.

G.I.G.O

Garbage In Garbage Out

I guess even though Skank 9s cores suck, at least they don't crumble.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I really hate that companies call cam blanks "billet" when you can clearly see that it is cast in a basic cam shape then ground to profile. A real billet cam is CNC'd from a solid hunk of metal to a cam profile.

"Billet"

Billet

V8 true billet cams retail for $400, why can't these companies make true billet cams for us? It's just another example of companies taking advantage of "import" people.

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
i bought a set of web cams for my b18, and after installing them i kept noticing that the engine was running on 3cyls. verified that everything was ok until i decided to swap the oem cams back in. then measured the web cams. result: the intake cam was fine but somehow the exhaust cam grind was off at cyl1, resulting in a dead cylinder.

so no more web cams for me. ever.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
V8 true billet cams retail for $400, why can't these companies make true billet cams for us? It's just another example of companies taking advantage of "import" people.
Its called a demand curve.

There's probably 10 guys on this site that would buy a billet cam from comp or someone like that. Then you would have to pay them to reverse engineer the dimensions/alignment of the tabs to lobes/etc, then pay them to write a program for cutting the thing, then cut it and QC the first couple to make sure your brand new program is putting out quality parts . . .

Comp/Crane/Lunati/etc are making hundreds of v8 grinds a day and that's why they are so much cheaper. Until they run a D in legends/fill in the _____ stock/road racing classes/any of the import classes there will never been anywhere even close to the demand that other engines have.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
2009 Civic Si Sedan
547 Posts
I really hate that companies call cam blanks "billet" when you can clearly see that it is cast in a basic cam shape then ground to profile. A real billet cam is CNC'd from a solid hunk of metal to a cam profile.

"Billet"

Billet

Billet is a term for material that is extruded or continuously cast.
The first cam is defiantly a sand cast piece then machined, with the rough surfaces. The second cam could also be a cast piece with all the surfaces machined finished.
If cast correctly, the strength difference is negligible.
Judging from the cams that break they are not casting them correctly or doing it cheaply, or both.

·
Registered
97 honda HX-07 STI
286 Posts

I want to start off saying that this is not a bash on Luis, or Dustin at Performance Porting because they are both awesome dudes. They were extremely understanding, empathetic, and helpful.

This cam came out of a head that Dustin built, and Luis purchased about 2 years ago. For what ever reason, Luis never used the head and it just sat in its box on his shelf for those 2 years. I recently purchased the head and upon arrival everything looked good but I couldn't see the cam very well for obvious reasons.

I had also purchased a 272.2 cam on here so before I installed the head I went swap cams.

The rocker assembly was loose, as in, the tappets/nuts were backed out, there was no spring pressure on anything. I removed the assembly to find the thrust collar busted and a huge chunk of a lobe missing. The pieces were lying in assembly lube that had basically dried up and turned extra thick and sticky. There is no sign of damage to anything else in or on the head.

Some of you will know that I recently sent in a 2.4 with massive wearing of the exhaust lobes street 8400 miles.

And now I have a 2.0 that arrived in a head in pieces.

So, once again, I call up Debbie at Web cams. She is super nice. The conclusion with the 2.4 was that they could make me a new one for $260.. I say thanks but, that's bullshit, no thanks. The conclusion with the 2.0 is that, oh, it looks like it was damaged in shipping, bummer. Let us know if you want us to make one for you.

In comparison, my 272.2 showed up with a little brown paper wrapping it, freely bouncing around in a delta cam box. No padding what so ever. No damage, of course.
Meanwhile, the head was exquisitely packed in all sorts of Styrofoam.

I called up delta and they said they'd fix both of them for less than the 1 cam. So.. I'm still thinking about that..

If I get the 2.4 fixed I'm gonna back to back dyno it with the 272.2 and then keep the 272.2 either way while selling off both bisi cams.

The thing is, my goal was to sell the 2.0, and never need to buy the 272.2 in the first place..
And after this review, no one will want to buy them! Haha

Bottom line, Fuck Web Cam's shitty billets.
I originally thought that bisi supplied the blanks but, Debbie says they order them themselves, 100 at a time.

Wow packaging is Huge. All it would take is one drop from 3 or 4 feet to the cement or shop floor thus making the cams integrity harmfully compromised.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts