Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 324 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, with the help of everyone elses smart ideas I'm going to start my very own build thread......on a brokedick budget!!!! lol

My goal is to make my daily driven d15b7 powered 95 lx sedan a fun to drive "experience" monday through friday. My plans include revamping the fuel system, improving airflow and spark as well as adding a 5speed transmission, chipping and tuning the ecu and improving the exterior apearance of my car while keeping it practical and reliable.

I'm have a very limited knowledge of how to do things but I'm a good listener and willingly take good advice (from knowledgeble people) you know who you are guys. I'm open to opinions and what not but will treat them as such. So......I'll continue this thread later tomorrow. Its a lovely day for a Guinness so I think I'll go home and have 1 or 18. Happy reading.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Okay so first things first. Im gonna paint the GSR's gloss black. Ive been thinking about this for a very long time. I even asked the opinion of the guy I got them off of. Everyone gave me the "go-ahead" so I'm gonna do it with instructions from this Honda Tech thread. http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=316500 First I'm gonna take the wheels to the tire shop at work to have them take the tires and weights off. I'll try to get this done today. If I do, pics will be up tonight.

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Registered
2,992 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay so I got the wheels to the shop and got them all preped and ready to paint. Preogress below......

Ready to be removed

Chris Budde. The guy who took em off for me.

Tires removed and ready to paint.

The products used. Duplicolor gloss black paint, small can of red, can of clear coat, aircraft stripper and 400 grit sandpaper.

Aircraft Stripper doin its thang.

First coat.

Second coat.

Third coat.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fourth coat.

Fifth coat.

Final coat before red lip decision.

What do you guys think? Should I do the raised lip in red? Ive really wanted to do this but I'm gonna ask for opinios anyways.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Follow bone's old d15b7 build and it includes a6 cam swap, z6 im, z6 transmission and there a fun dd. I have done the a6 cam swap on my b7 but with the y7 transmission and it really does respond well.:)
This is actually what I want to model my car after. I know bone through a Cincinnat forum and I respect his work greatly. I think I'm gonna try to find a b7 head so I can build it in my apartment at whatever pace I need to. I don't get much time to work on the car working 2 jobs and all. But yeah, thats an excellent idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well, I'll just put this up.

I can always go over it with black again if it doesnt work. Opinions?

Update: I didnt like the quality of the red lip. I'm gonna leave them black for now. If I find a better way to mask off the center of the rim I'll do it prolly next year or this winter when they come off the car to hibernate. I used an index card and the cap to the sprayer to hold the card against the lip and lightly sprayed from about 1ft. away. Didnt like how it turned out. It can be better.

·
I also have a cool title
3,124 Posts
Looks fine i just hope it matches the read on ur car...if so it will look great. If not it will look tacky 2 diff reds

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks fine i just hope it matches the read on ur car...if so it will look great. If not it will look tacky 2 diff reds
The red on my car is faaayyyyyyyyyydeeedd. I'm gonna leave them black. If I ever get the car repainted (prolly not) I'll see if I can get the wheels powdercoated in the black/red lip scheme. I think they look just fine in back for now.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
i can't believe you painted your blades- mine came painted and i fucking hated them, but i bought them cause they're hrad to find at a good price

·
sub-sponsor
93 civic
5,175 Posts
imo should of left the blades polished but to each there own

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
You did a good job on them I was apprehensive at first but the finished product get a :TU: from me do work
Thanks Boost. Thanks everyone else for the input. I was actually really scared to do this whole project to begin with but who wants to go through life with a pussy between their legs? I dont see a whole lot of these wheels in my area either which is why I'm glad they turned out great. I just hope I dont stand out too much. Again, I dont see a whole lot of these wheels in the area. In fact.....I havent seen a set of these all summer! It took me all day to do these things. God!!! The prep work was a big pain. I had to dry sand the inside of the face of the rims like a biotch. If you own a pair of these you know what I'm talking about. Then after that I wet sanded the same surface while I cleaned the wheels off. The surface is smoother than a freshly poured glass of Guinness............which happens to be my work fuel of choice. lol I drink the same shit I change my oil with.

Next up, Walbro 255............................

Reactions: custom_junky

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you decide to take the red lip off damn I liked that
I'm probably gonna hand paint the lip. Spraying it was too messy. Lots of overspray. I'm gonna get a brush today and do it. Should only take me a half hour to do em right.

1 - 20 of 324 Posts