Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a .42/.48 garrett turbo on my d16z6 but its crap now so i want to get a new turbo, .60 A/R maybe i was wondering if i have to retune my car? my car is tuned to 7 psi right now? i was looking at this turbo right here let me know what you guys think, i really dont have too much money to spend on a turbo either. let me know if this is is a good size turbo to use? any positive input would be great thanks. T3 T4 T04E Turbocharger A/R .60 Turbo + downpipe flange - eBay (item 380282434318 end time Mar-23-11 22:44:25 PDT)

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Also a larger turbo will have a different flow rate at givin rpm. Say at 3500rpm your small turbo would reach full boost ie. 10psi, where as a larger turbo may still be "spooling" at 3500 and only be at 7psi. Your map will be all over the place. Ebay turbos scare me but I would try one for the price...MAYBE.

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
from personal exsperience i would suggest saving your money and getting a good turbo. i went through 3 ebay ones and rebuilt one of them once in one year. with the price of that i could of almost bought a awesome turbo and it still would be doing awesome.
when he says hit or miss means ebay turbos might last 100 miles for 10,000 miles.
my first one went 15k for so. the others didnt go over3k each

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alriight the turbo i had on before i think it came off of a volvo ...what if i get the same turbo would it just be plug and play? and can i find one at a local junkyard?

·
Registered
94 Civic Hatch
334 Posts
alriight the turbo i had on before i think it came off of a volvo ...what if i get the same turbo would it just be plug and play? and can i find one at a local junkyard?
if you find the same exact turbo it should be plug and play. and you need to research what car your turbo came off then you could more then likely find one at a junkyard.

retune with the same turbo wouldnt be a bad idea incase there are some minor differences

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
yes a retune wouldnt be a bad idea. at least you need to check your a/f's
a turbo could perform differently even thos its technically the same.
your should really retune whenever you change any part with a turbo car but most people dont

·
Registered
same
1,624 Posts
the turbo in the link is a 44trim t3/t4, its spools very slow and peaks out pretty early, atleast mine did. 10psi by 4400rpm and it was done by 5500rpm on my setup. i switched to a "true" 57 trim ebay turbo with that same compressor and it feels better up top but still spools slow in my opinion.

the garrett .42/.48 is a good turbo for stock blocks i'd just look for another.

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
go with a cxracing turbo supposedly they fully test all their turbos and they are descent.
those still are hit or miss. had 2 of them.
they do not ballance there turbos. none of those ebay 44trims are balanced i dont think.
but most of the cxracing stuff is pretty good. but got to remember its still cheap ebay junk. no matter what some 14yr old kid put it together in china

·
Registered
764 Posts
I PM'd you. I have a good quality turbo for sale but it may be a bit big for your application. There are other options as well.

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
They balance them its just that they use cheap crappy bushings that wear out too easily. It's a trade-off going with a big turbo. I have a 48/63 57 trim and hate it. Yeah it makes gobs of power up top but I don't see full boost until after 5k rpm. I think the best turbo I ever ran was a to4b 48/60 with a v trim. Spooled plenty quick and had tons of top end.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
They balance them its just that they use cheap crappy bushings that wear out too easily. It's a trade-off going with a big turbo. I have a 48/63 57 trim and hate it. Yeah it makes gobs of power up top but I don't see full boost until after 5k rpm. I think the best turbo I ever ran was a to4b 48/60 with a v trim. Spooled plenty quick and had tons of top end.

you give me hope i have the same one thats going on my turbo build

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
That's the turbo that made the numbers in my sig. Full boost around 3800rpm and pulled all the way to rev limit and then some. Too bad the housing cracked or I would still be running it. I'll trade you straight up for my turbonetics :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts