Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to turbo a D16y on stock internals and plan on only running 7-10 psi haven’t decided yet but I brought a medium sized turbo A/R 60 front cover and A/R 1.15 rear housing, how laggy would this turbo be and would it work? Sorry if stupid question but I’ve tried finding forums on this

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,441 Posts
picture of medium sized turbo?

I'm going to say it will be pretty laggy and feel soggy like a wet diaper..
really depends on what size frame turbo.
I have run an .96 a/r t4 size turbo it spooled at 6000rpm ....

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Why go big turbo ons tock internals? You want to make sure the block evacuates its guts completely out of the car when it blows?

Spend less than a grand, and you have a decently strong block and rotating assembly.

Seriously. If you have a stronger rotating assembly, you can build for much higher compression, and spin a cheap big turbo quite easily.

Grab one of those PG6 and rod combo's off ebay for 300-400 bucks, and send the block and parts to a machine shop to make the magic happen.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,611 Posts
big turbo so youre out of boost until its time to shift?

first
http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/engine/0304-turp-compressor-map/

Understanding Compressor Maps – Sizing A Turbocharger

once you understand how to read a compressor map, then you can figure out what rpm range you would like to see in boost.

when you find your sweet spot, then you can look into turbos and see where their sweet spots are and if they fall in line with yours.

after that, then you can spin a bearing and chuck a rod out the side of a stock block because you don't want to build the bottom end or upgrade injectors or a proper tune.

Reactions: EFB055

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay so I wasn’t looking to build the bottom end as this is my first build and I was trying to throw together a budget build as I was going to sell the car once it was running and tuned and I was going to go b series

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ll be upgrading everything in the turbo kit that I pieced together myself to be able to tolerate around 200-250 hp but was unsure about this bigger sized turbo, this is my first build and everything will be done by myself as I’m wanting to learn how to do everything so I can get into the game and build my own cars

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,441 Posts
Okay so I wasn’t looking to build the bottom end as this is my first build and I was trying to throw together a budget build as I was going to sell the car once it was running and tuned and I was going to go b series
whats the point then?

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
You your intent is to learn, then why the hell are you going to get a car going just to sell it to some poor sap that WILL blow it up immediately upon purchase?

You will spend MORE tuning the car than building the block. No tuner worth their weight is gonna do it for less than $500 (on average)

Why not do it correctly, and get more money for the car?

Besides, you wont make your money back in the long run. Might as well enjoy it while its capable of doing more.

Reactions: robgoof

·
4,611 Posts
stock blocks let go at 220hp. y series at that. not upgrading the fueling.

more money than sense.

I don't think itll ever see boost.

found a BorgWarner with similar specs plugged into a calculator.
Untitled.png

this was with 7psi base pressure and 10psi max pressure, as per op. in a 1.6 engine with 90* temps and 500ft above sea level. revving out to 7k

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
wait, a stock, untouched, mid-compression 1.6 liter cannot push a large turbo?

Who would have thunk

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One shop in my country will have a rebuild kit for the block for 2k and if I choose to import the parts instead shipping will cost me more than the parts are worth, I might just look into building the engine myself then and getting all parts I need and doing a lot more research into all of this as it seems like there’s still so much more I need to know, I’m only 18 and I have nobody who can help and I don’t want to pay anyone to do anything for me as I want to learn only thing I’m willing to pay for is getting my ecu chipped and The car tuned

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can’t just order a cheap eBay kit and slap it all together and take the route as again the shipping will cost me more than the eBay kits are worth

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
What country are you in? The flag under your user indicates Australia, I think.

Plenty of people in Australia without big money use US ebay parts.

Just gotta find the ebay seller that promotes international shipping.

You end up spending a little more on the price of the parts, but bigger sellers generally get shipping deals.

I would call up a local performance shop, and ask them how you would go about things.

·
4,611 Posts
hes on the little island next door. don't want an ebay kit but using an ebay turbo that LITTERALLY says "shady" on it lol.

you have badass cars over there that come factory turbo. go to the "wreckers" and find you a legit turbo.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,441 Posts
I’ll be upgrading everything in the turbo kit that I pieced together myself to be able to tolerate around 200-250 hp but was unsure about this bigger sized turbo, this is my first build and everything will be done by myself as I’m wanting to learn how to do everything so I can get into the game and build my own cars

what parts of a turbo kit do you have?
can you weld/have a welder?
only way to really learn is to make all the shit ,exception being the turbo

hes on the little island next door. don't want an ebay kit but using an ebay turbo that LITTERALLY says "shady" on it lol.

you have badass cars over there that come factory turbo. go to the "wreckers" and find you a legit turbo.
that would be a learning experience all on it's own.

might as well look for pipe and couplers too.
used truck/ tractor rad hose works great for couplers and it's usually free.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts