Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i just build a fresh jdm d15bvtec, high compression, eagle rods, stage 2 cams and put my time into this one, anyway i broke it in just running it for a few hours yesterday and it runs great. got a mild tune on it just timing and gaping the plugs, just enough till i get to drive it. so finally after all this work i get to drive it. it gets out of the driveway fine but when i start to accelerate it makes a horrible clicking noise like the axles are broken but way louder. the thing is the are new axles. this noise only happens when i accelerate i only got it into second because i just went straight back home but it does it in first and second don't know about the other gears but by the way it sounded it would probably happen in any gear. the clutch is brand new as well. but i was wondering if it was chattering or slipping would it make a noise like that.

symptoms: rapid (loud) clicking like an axle is broken but axles are new. only on acceleration.

anyone ever have this problem or something like it. any help is good help.

thanks guys,

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i was going to drop my tanny today so i could see if it is that, i was actually hoping that's all that it is. but any ideas are great so keep them coming so i check all possibilities

·
Registered
98 dx sedan
895 Posts
did the noise continue when you hit the clutch to shift? was it a really frequent noise? like multiple times a second? or like once every tire rotation? just trying to sort things out let us know what the tranny looks like

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the noise goes away every time i take my foot off the gas so yeah i guess it stops when my foot is on the clutch.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
and it is frequent i am like 90% sure its not my axles but i don't know i have never had a clutch chatter or slip so i wasn't sure it it was that.

·
Registered
495 Posts
So it goes away when the trans is disengaged? Do you push the clutch in when you take your foot off the gas pedal?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
only when coming to a stop like i said my drive was really short i got into second then coasted into back into my driveway

·
Registered
98 dx sedan
895 Posts
if it stops when your off the gas then it for sure isn't your axels :)
are you sure your engine was properly put together? Does the noise go away after a certain rpm? or sound like its coming from a certain place? i dont wanna be the bearer of bad news buuuuuttt rod knock might be a possibility :(

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no it runs smooth and fine at idle or stopped. if i had to say i think its coning from the clutch but its hard to tell when im in the car.

·
Registered
98 dx sedan
895 Posts
Well It isn't the classic clicking axels that I hear about all the time atleast, what else could it be on the axels? unless the spindles were set wrong or something...I figured anything like that would make a noise during acceleration or deceleration :wacko:

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Does it change with steering.

Does it feel clicky if you jack the car up and turn the wheels by hand.

Does the clutch pedal feel normal

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Are the wheel nuts and stub axle nuts done up real tight.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it kinda sounds to high and tingy to be rod knock. and wouldn't rod knock be constant. not just accelerating?

·
Registered
98 dx sedan
895 Posts
I gotta think that its something with your clutch..
You used an alignment tool right? What brand of clutch?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes my axle nuts and everything is good and tight. no it does not change with steering. no nothing feels weird when i jack the car up.

·
Registered
98 dx sedan
895 Posts
it kinda sounds to high and tingy to be rod knock. and wouldn't rod knock be constant. not just accelerating?
Yeah it most likely would be constant, mine was atleast...
did you have anything re-balanced? Like crank or a pulley or somethin? Or are you running aftermarket pulleys?

If its something thats unbalanced then it will most likely get worse the higher you go rpm wise, but it could be unnoticeable at idle

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes i used and alignment tool and its a clutch masters clutch with a fully stainless clutch line to it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts