Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i searched and wasn't satisfied with a definitive answer.

[ ] yes [ ] no*

*if no, explain why.

·
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1
95 Del Sol Si
560 Posts
Like me and the other guy discussed in ur thread, that turbo should be opted out for something more efficient. Id say no for flow issues, sure you can push any turbo but at somepoint it spins so fast it gets hot.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
coming from the dsm community, the efficiency range for the 16g is right what i'm looking for. it should spool low upto 7500 and will peak around 20lbs. i got a brand new 16g from my friend for free, so thats the initial game plan unless I go bigger down the road.

·
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1
95 Del Sol Si
560 Posts
I understand what your aiming for and its not a bad idea but my suggestion is if your going bigger later then dont even push big power now, the good thing about an efficient turbo is staying out of boost during the day for better MPG's, alot of DSM guys will complain about those, and yes they do spool the shit out of them but it is also a totally different motor.

·
Registered
Del sol
27 Posts
What's your goal? Auto x/ light to light? Just asking. I have nuthing but good things to say about the 16g. I loved every one I owed. As fare as on a d I don't know but I would love to find out.

Yes

·
Banned
My car...
1,875 Posts
I have read that with good porting of the turbine housing (on DSM forums), you can run high boost on a 16G with little problem when it comes to boost creep.

If you don't want to do it yourself, Forced Performance does porting and from what I remember, it wasn't all that expensive.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I understand what your aiming for and its not a bad idea but my suggestion is if your going bigger later then dont even push big power now, the good thing about an efficient turbo is staying out of boost during the day for better MPG's, alot of DSM guys will complain about those, and yes they do spool the shit out of them but it is also a totally different motor.
Well to start, I question your understanding of efficiency.

As for the sizing in regard to MPG, a smaller turbo will provide better mileage than a large turbo. Driving for economy on a vacuum gauge is how they did it in the 70s, its not that simple.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
But anyway Loki,

IWG can work great, I also think porting would be very helpful.
I would send it to Bell engineering as theyre experts on porting wastegates.

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
You can use the 16G just fine, you will just have to use more boost to make the same power compared to a larger turbo. Depending on your goals though, 250hp or less IMO, 16G will more than likely be sufficient,

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
It will do fine, only issue with internal gate will be boost creep as I was told by gpop shop when asking about upgrading my 15g.

Someone on here got a 15g to 300whp so I imagine your larger snail will be fine

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cool, i can get an EWG easily, but i figured that if the IWG would work, then why mess with that. my buddy is running similar power on a similar turbo on his sr20det and his IWG is just fine, so i figured id ask the d experts ;)

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I tihnk I'm missing something, higher boost=less exhaust going thru the wg. The problem is boost creep or the exhaust side being a restriction for your power goals?
Nope, higher boost means more exhaust going out the wastegate because the engine is aspirating more air due to the higher boost. A small turbine housing makes it worse too.
The creep could be pretty bad, which is why I recommend porting.

·
Banned
My car...
1,875 Posts
I tihnk I'm missing something, higher boost=less exhaust going thru the wg. The problem is boost creep or the exhaust side being a restriction for your power goals?
Yes and No, and yes and no... :pinch:

High power, with a high flowing turbine/housing requires "less" WG (comparatively) because more exhaust flows through the turbine. BUT, you also produce more exhaust at high power levels, so you need a larger wastegate.

Think of it like this. Run a GT30 at we'll say 25psi and you can get away with a "smaller" wastegate, because more exhaust will pass through the turbine. But run 10psi on the same "small" wastegate, and you'll experience boost creep.

Internal WG on OEM turbo's are not designed to flow alot more air than stock boost levels would create, so they can creep. The new EFR's have a good WG that's designed to be able to flow up to like 30%+ of the total exhaust. And most external WG/manifolds in Honda's just work because of the pressure differential, when wastegate placement is particularly shit.

It seems to me that if you could port the WG part of the housing and possibly run a larger valve, you could flow just as much (or possibly more) than your typical EWG Honda manifold.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do it 20 lbs all day ... I had my crx for years on 20lbs ... all stock ! just a 3in down pipe and a tail BOV .. DSM injectors ... everything done by SSA here i Houston TX

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Do it 20 lbs all day ... I had my crx for years on 20lbs ... all stock ! just a 3in down pipe and a tail BOV .. DSM injectors ... everything done by SSA here i Houston TX
No you didn't, and if you insist on arguing with me you better have picture, video, and dyno printout proof of this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts