Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
a car
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry couldn't find a better spot to put this...does anyone know of cost effective way to ship a carbon fiber hood?

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
you pretty much are screwed unless you have an account with someone? i have a work account with R & L carriers I get a fuel surcharge from 1996 rates WHICH IS UN HEARD OF! I can ship minimum floor (which is 1 skid 500lbs or less) ANY where in the lower 48 for 59.95!

If you go to UPS hub or UPS store they will most likely charge you a fragile freight handling fee on top of whatever quote they give you?

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
hoods are damn expensive to ship!

try just calling around for quotes...

UPS is gonna rape ya for sure! I would say try fedex frieght or USPS and go from there.

·
Registered
1993 Civic Ex Coupe
793 Posts
Nope, but I can give you a "ship to" address.
The hoods that I've ordered from Ground Dynamics are shipped by a freight company. I don't know what the rates are for GD but I get charged about $135 to get a hood from cali to GA.

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
the 135 bucks seems a little high to me! but i get the advantage of working in my ship/rec dept. at my work so i can use our ups fedex and R & L accounts pretty much when i want to !

·
Registered
a car
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$135 sounds better to me ..went on fedex with residential pickup/ delivery almost $300! only want $100 for my hood but no one would spend that much for a used cf hood, willing to set up an account with someone to save shipping $$$

·
Registered
1993 Civic Ex Coupe
793 Posts
$135 sounds better to me ..went on fedex with residential pickup/ delivery almost $300! only want $100 for my hood but no one would spend that much for a used cf hood, willing to set up an account with someone to save shipping $$$
omg, your near new cost @ that point.
Check with Yellow or something.
Part of the problem is the residential.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
and people wonder why I hate shipping trannys. I'd prefer to deliver it in person.

·
Registered
a car
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
they quoted 70 to pickup and 70 and to deliver to residential address.. at these prices looks like am going to have a very hard time selling... the best i have been quoted is $150 ... either way looks like shipping will be more than what i want for the hood

·
Registered
a car
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and people wonder why I hate shipping trannys. I'd prefer to deliver it in person.
getting a used trans shipped to replace my WIDE ratio gearbox in my delsol, have a feeling going to have a problem here too.. this 1 big reason thinking of setting up an account with someone to at least get a shipping discount

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
You don't have a UPS store?

You probably don't want to send it through UPS anyways unless it's in a wood-reinforced box; the UPS conveyor system and general setup is obsolete(I think they've been the same since the 70s here where I work) along with inferior equipment. "Metals", as we call it, which are anything oversized or over 70lbs, are dropped down from this platform about 5ft tall where they unload the trailers.

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
UPS is a also now owns OVERNIGHT trucking company which is called UPS FREIGHT yellow and holland will give you the same quote as in the last 6 months yellow bought out holland! Try and call R&L they give very good prices # for m dispatch here in cincy is 513-421-5750 im sure they can give yo the Number to the terminal nearest you. and if you could ship from and to a commerical or business address you will prolly save 25-40% as well!

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
didn't think ups would ship a hood as i thought bigger than their max accepted packaging
UPS will ship almost anything. I've handled packages that barely fit through the doors on the trucks(especially Pottery Barn shit).

·
Registered
a car
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i used to be a shipper/ receiver at the time ups provided us with a length of chain ...the length/ width and height combined couldn't be longer than that.. was a couple of years ago so may have changed their policies

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Who knows; from what I hear those policies are still in place; but we had like 2 10ft long packages today, stuff that won't even fit in the new "300" trucks, etc. If it doesn't fit in the truck that it's suppose to go in, they just have another truck shuttle it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts