Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was just wondering how to go about tearing down a motor and rebuilding it. Is there a guide or something? My main goals are a 400hp d16 down the road. So far i have a gt3076r turbo wiseco pistons and eagle rods I Still need to get a decent fuel setup and a decent ems but before all that I need to figure out how to install pistons and rods. Any ideas??

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
this should help you...

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
^ x 2

·
Registered
honda civic
410 Posts
buy a cheap d series motor tear it down put it back together. if you run into a problem putting it back together search the web.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! will be reading up more and will most likely be buying a spare d16 block to tear down and rebuild.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Yep, like others said...get yourself some spare motors, heads, transmissions and tear them apart. It's actually fairly simple if you take your time and torque everything as it should be.

·
Registered
AUSDM EG8 Sedan
457 Posts
does that guy in the vid do the same for head assembly?
or is there something like it for head assembly?

·
Registered
'97 Del Sol
751 Posts
does that guy in the vid do the same for head assembly?
or is there something like it for head assembly?
I don't remember Evan's tuning doing one for head assembly though you can find helpful vids on Tou-Yube even if you have to search the prossess in steps. These guys already laid it out to you, just have to search alot, read alot, search alot more, do work...repeat....

Get a Honda Service Manual downloaded and/or on book form FIRST THING, read tons of stickies/F&Q/archives/DIY under topics that your trying to find info on, don't limit yourself to one forum or source. Learn to save/bookmark/subscribe/copy info, sites, and vids that will help you later. Read many of build threads, I make a habbit to mostly stick to reading N/A build thread because that's what I'm working on but I also read through many others to learn other tricks of the trade from a different perspective.

Good Luck and welcome to DSO :bigok:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Find a friend that has rebuilt an engine. Acquire their help. You'll be disappointed if you spend all the money and time only to have to do it again.

·
Registered
'97 Del Sol
751 Posts
go to a junkyard that lets you pick your own parts and go to work lol
This is actually prolly better advice then you think. I have taken things apart at a "Pick N Pull" just to see how to do it so I wouldn't mess it up the first time I tryed it on my own car lol. Great and cheap learning tool :TU:. Just remember to be curtious for the next person as they may want/need the parts you've been playing with.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Read DIY's in here and get a Honda service manual for torque specs and sequences, clearances, etc. A friend with experience would be a great help too.

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
753 Posts
Keep a Honda FSM handy, and rebuild a spare motor. That's what I did. Just in case you screw something up you still have the engine that came out of your car and you know what not to do wrong when you build the next one. Also as stated above keep things super clean and most importantly be patient. It took me around two years to acquire parts and research on rebuilding my stock Z6 for boost. Good luck!

EDIT: Also remember that torque specs are there for a reason, get yourself a decent torque wrench. If you can't afford a quality click stop torque wrench, get a tried and true beam style. They're cheaper and pretty damn accurate.

·
Registered
AUSDM EG8 Sedan
457 Posts
i just scored a D16y1/D16z6 that had snapped a conrod and tore it down to learn with - its pretty rooted but i think i saved the head =)

tearing it down was easy - but putting the head/valvetrain back together is gona be tricky lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts