Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Civic Hatch
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know theres been a shit load of threads on this, but I have my b16a swap sitting in my garage, I have my d15b motor in my 88 dx hatch and I'm already getting sick of it it's just not fun more then 1 person in the car, I was thinking of swapping the B16a, in the future (couple months) I want to go to the junkyard pick up a ls block, and build only for reliability then slappin it on to the head just make it a 1day job, I'm just doing this for more torque (more displacement).
So how much money am I looking to spend and what parts do I need for the block?
Timing belt
Fuel pump?
Alternator belt? ect...

Thanks guys I hope to get some help on this.
I don't really want to street race, just fun peppy daily driver. (vtec for freeways lol)

·
セックス大好&#
'93 240sex
505 Posts
An extra 100cc? C'mon man. Might as well get a z6 or y8 and build that, same displacement. If you reallyy want to go b-series and want more displacement, go with a B20 block and build a head to suit.

The grey button at the top right of the screen will help you out some too. Its labeled, SEARCH.

·
Registered
88 Civic Hatch
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An extra 100cc? C'mon man. Might as well get a z6 or y8 and build that, same displacement. If you reallyy want to go b-series and want more displacement, go with a B20 block and build a head to suit.

The grey button at the top right of the screen will help you out some too. Its labeled, SEARCH.
i'm not sure if you read my thread right, but I'll try to rephrase it.
I want to get the b16a as a new base then build from there.

so i'm basically going from a an extra 300 with the Ls block since I don't plan on keeping the 1.6 liter bottom end.

·
Will Do Handstands For Pussy!!!
Civic
2,875 Posts
well the correct way to do a ls vtec is to:

Buy a GSR block
Find LS crank/rods
GSR pistons
All new gaskets
seals
bearings
belts ect.

The GSR block is better due to oiling system being a huge improvment over the LS.

Hell do that^^ but get forged rods, and pistons, sleeve it and bore it to 84.5mm and have a 2.1 woot woot.

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
Can't compare a built d-series to a LS/Vtec theres know comparrison.
One has TQ the other does'ent.

Building a LS/V is a'lot more then just throwing on a B16 head if you want it to be reliable. Theres a'lot of work that goes into it.....like do you plan on revving it to 7500-8000rpms?

Look on Google theres tons of great write ups.

I would rather have a properly built B16A with a big cam and extra comp with a tune then a LS/V anyday. The R/S ratio in a B16A is damn near perfect in the LS/V not so much.

·
McLOVIN
2002 Civic Si
800 Posts
The ls block actually has like 250ccs more displacement than a d16...

Rod bolts are a must. I wouldnt rev over 8k though. And get a tune becayse NO basemap is sufficient for lsvtecs fuel needs....

·
セックス大好&#
'93 240sex
505 Posts
The ls block actually has like 250ccs more displacement than a d16...
Its early, im tired. I saw "b16" and went with it. lol

·
Registered
88 Civic Hatch
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its early, im tired. I saw "b16" and went with it. lol
its all good man, i was kinda preparing my thread to get flamed lol,

i tried searching but I always end up seeing people arguing on which motor is better.And it gets a little bit annoying, if you say it's more reliable with the milk b16a build, I might just go ahead and do that. I'm really open to any types of low cost builds you guys have in mind. I want to hear it.

And thanks for the advice about the gsr block, my friend is selling a rebuilt gsr head for 250$ i can just sell the b16 and buy a fresh b18c block and put 2 and 2 together. Since I am already wired for Vtec and obd1 using a p28 Ecu It might be my best route.

·
Registered
681 Posts
well the correct way to do a ls vtec is to:

Buy a GSR block
Find LS crank/rods
GSR pistons
All new gaskets
seals
bearings
belts ect.

The GSR block is better due to oiling system being a huge improvment over the LS.

Hell do that^^ but get forged rods, and pistons, sleeve it and bore it to 84.5mm and have a 2.1 woot woot.
I thought when you used the gsr block and b16 head that was considered a poor mans type r And to the OP there is a good thread on Honda-tech laying out the ls-vtec basics

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
Gsr block with B16A head and type-r cams is considered a poor mans type-r.

·
Will Do Handstands For Pussy!!!
Civic
2,875 Posts
I thought when you used the gsr block and b16 head that was considered a poor mans type r And to the OP there is a good thread on Honda-tech laying out the ls-vtec basics
Gsr block with B16A head and type-r cams is considered a poor mans type-r.
correct.

Origional OP,

The GSR block with a LS crank and rods is the BEST way to do a LS/vtec. Look at any 2.1L motor its almost always a GSR block, LS crank bored to 84.5mm.

If you want a beast then get a B20 bottom end, FULLY BUILD, BALANCE, AND BLUEPRINT IT, then build the shit out of a b16 or gsr head and slap that bitch in....or spend 5grand n do a kswap.

If you want reliable power for cheap, find a d16z6, put fj rods, vitara pistons, throw together a turbo kit and get 300 whp easily.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts