Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I currently have a turbonetics t4 62-1 with a stage 5 compressor wheel and I think its a lil to big for my build, due to only makes boost past 5k and really want to make boost earlier so thinking smaller turbo... I got a screaming deal from my buddy on this turbo so I figured I use it but it looks like it may not be ideal for what I'm looking for.... SO my question is what's a decent turbo for under $650 that will make boost earlier than 5k and wont choke out quickly.. plan on running at least 18-25 psi when all said and done! thanks for any and all input...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found my old TD04-13T to be a pretty darn awesome turbo on the street and on small technical tracks.

Quick spool, great throttle response and decent power plus dirt cheap to replace when it eventually dies

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
yeah, a 62-1 is way too big for a D... how about a GT2876R? that will make you a solid 400whp and won't spool too late

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I made 270hp 221tq on my d16z6 with current 62-1 turbonetics turbo at 14-15lbs but it doesn't make full boost till about 5600-5800 rpms and I know if I just turn the boost up it make shit ton more power but it still be way late in the rpm range and just spin tire .. basically it comes on so hard now that it wants to spin tire and with any more boost it only spins tire.. as much fun as that is, tires are too expensive to be going through that quick.. I'm looking for something that comes on more around 3500 and rips from there... so what would you suggest?

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
4,831 Posts
I made 270hp 221tq on my d16z6 with current 62-1 turbonetics turbo at 14-15lbs but it doesn't make full boost till about 5600-5800 rpms and I know if I just turn the boost up it make shit ton more power blah blah blah?

Find your boost leak :detective:

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Still didnt really answer the question, anyways the assassin made 280hp on a t3 60 trim and they spool up nice usually I get fully boost at about 3800rpm for 8psi, they also cost 650$ for a non wastegated turbo. I looked at the go auto spec bullseye and its capable of 400hp but costs 850$ so I guess thats out of your range

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Find your boost leak :detective:
it makes boost at 4100, like 1psi and comes up slowly but its very little till 5500+ then ON LIKE DONKY KONG LOL.. and no boost leaks

·
Registered
265 Posts
Lets ask the important question, 18-25 PSI doesn't mean anything unless we know the power you are wanting to make....that will answer everything easily.

cheers

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lets ask the important question, 18-25 PSI doesn't mean anything unless we know the power you are wanting to make....that will answer everything easily.

cheers

K well the horse power rating I obtain isn't terribly import to me... weather its 270hp or 450hp or even 220hp... doesn't really matter as much as how my car drives and weather not its fun to drive.. I currently make 270hp and 220 tq at 15lbs but it comes on like a light switch in high rpms.. I want to have a turbo that will not choke out at 15-20 psi and start making boost at roughly 3500 rpms... weather I make 350 or 500 or 220 doesn't really matter to me as much.. lol that may sound goofy :screwy: or I may be an idiot but I don't need to be the fastest or best turbod sohc on the road I just want a peppy car that's fun to drive without boost turning on a 6k and just spinning the tires for 1500 rpms.. k with that being said any suggestions

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Well I can suggest a t3 60 trim .42/.48 ar , like I said a member here has one up at 280hp and full boost by 3400-4000 rpm. I seriously doubt your going to want to drop down below your hp your making now, if it were me I would want the same power but better powerband. You could drop down to the t25 turbo and have instant spool at around 200-250hp

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I can suggest a t3 60 trim .42/.48 ar , like I said a member here has one up at 280hp and full boost by 3400-4000 rpm. I seriously doubt your going to want to drop down below your hp your making now, if it were me I would want the same power but better powerband. You could drop down to the t25 turbo and have instant spool at around 200-250hp
ok your probably right would like the same power or even more but better powerband... we made more on the dyno then I have now but it just ripped the tires loose so easy we backed it back down.. would like to stay around 300 range with better powerband IDEALLY

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
Considering that I know several stock block/small turbo combos that run faster than cars making 2x the WHP, I know for a fact most of you guys don't understand how fast 200WHP really is when the rest of the car is set up correctly, especially on the street where the boost threshold is nearly always more important than your WHP, except if you are doing stupid things like highway pulls.

My point is that he could easily make less power and go a lot faster, which it sounds like he's wanting to do.

Alternatively, he could build the engine to rev abs run a shorter final drive with his current turbo and probably go really fast, but swapping the turbo is less expensive.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Considering that I know several stock block/small turbo combos that run faster than cars making 2x the WHP, I know for a fact most of you guys don't understand how fast 200WHP really is when the rest of the car is set up correctly, especially on the street where the boost threshold is nearly always more important than your WHP, except if you are doing stupid things like highway pulls.

My point is that he could easily make less power and go a lot faster, which it sounds like he's wanting to do.

Alternatively, he could build the engine to rev abs run a shorter final drive with his current turbo and probably go really fast, but swapping the turbo is less expensive.
I agree, my 335is is a 3.0 straight six with two small ass td03 turbos, and produces 320 and like 370 torque, but its the powerband and transmission ratios in these car that make em fast, I could be doing 100mph and floor it and ill be doing 140 in a split second.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts