Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
D-series Strom Trooper
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Gentlemen.... What a good tranny for a y7 Monster turbo build....... I need something that i can make durable and how do i make it Durable and tough enough to with stand some power..... What Drive Shafts should i use as welll?????

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
the EX or Si trannies are always the best choice!

unless you can make yourself a hybrid tranny...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'd say go with a y8 tranny. Its gears are a lot shorter than a y7 tranny and it has a steel shift fork instead of the aluminum ones that break. You are gonna give up some gas milegae, and always be shifting, but it will mate very well with that turbo of yours. I'd stick with the stock cv's for now. If you end up breaking them quite often, then it might be time to upgrade them, but I wouldn't spend the money untill you know you absolutley need them.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
the y8 is not much different from the z6 tranny in durability.

Sure the z6 has aluminum forks that can break if abused...

but the y8 has THIN steel forks that BEND when abused.

B

·
0 Posts
Another issue with the y8 is that when you bend the forks (and you probably will) not only are you now buying a fork but you are also going to buy a gearset, the bent for will eat the slider and fook the gear.
Bone said it before, that the z6 forks might break at least they are aluminum and will not eat up the gear as they are much softer.

z6 fork- maybe $90 and nothing else most likely needed.

y8 fork- maybe $60; gear, synchro,slider set $300-400, most likely the ISB's are toast from steel and brass particles riding around the race.

Or... don't beat on your gears, shift as fast as you want only using your wrist; if you are using your shoulder to shift fast you're gonna wear out and break your box. Honda makes a great and strong transmission but will only live so long in excessive force environment.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,433 Posts
Z6 forks only $56!!!!!

MOST broken 1-2 forks come from the wear of forcing the shifter back into first gear. I broke most of mine autoxing going into 1st on the SUPER tight 90 heading onto our backstraight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts