Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a 1994 civic EX 5spd. As far as I know tranny has 231,000 miles on it. It starting to have some issues like gear popping out, etc and I am jusdt wondering what the best Tranny fluid,additive,etc is to muse to get the most of it until I get a replacement tranny for it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I know.lol it sucks. But I am just hoping like most cases using a good tranny fluid or additives can help it last as long as it possibley will.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more so what are you guys running in yours? I would assume you use what you feel is the best stuff

Thanks

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, yeah I have heard of that stuff. I may give it a try and see if it helps me any

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
1,903 Posts
Royal Purple.................... FTMFW!!!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah royal purple another wicked one too. heard all good about them

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,251 Posts
define the popping out of gear, esp. which gear.

If its second gear, no fluid will cure it.

I predict second gear popping out, driver tried to hold it in, CS bearing walked out, killing the 1-2 shitter fork.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
re

Lol, yeah that the main issue with the tranny. figured that was the issue there. lol 5th gear hums mildly loud when you shift into 5th gear and only in that gear. and 3rd grinds, so yeah tranny not in too good shape.

I plan on changing the tranny out. I am just wanting to put some good fluids in there so I can get the maximum life out of the tranny until it blows on me.

Hoping it will give me long enough to locate another good tranny for the car.

But am I right in sayin the tranny pretty well gone. lol it does have issues as well as 231,000 miles that I dont think were "easy driving" miles

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
it's about $200 for the majority of the bearings from Honda.
I've yet to find a good deal on the brass.
Apparently, honda only sells synchro assemblies (or whatever they're called) and they want a grip o cash.

IIRC, emoBone shared a source for brass parts a while back. eBay seller I think?
there's also http://www.gearspeedinc.com

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
from what I've seen for d-series transmissions:
if your trans needs a complete overhaul, it's cheaper to just get a good used one. (I just sold a good working Si trans for $150. That's cheaper than the value of the individual parts inside.)
However, if you can teardown and replace only the worn parts, it can be economical, but generally that means you have to have your car off the road for a couple of days while you disassemble and order parts.

IMO, it's only worth rebuilding b-series or scarce d-series transmissions factoring the cost of a good used unit vs. the cost of rebuild parts and down time.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,251 Posts
it's about $200 for the majority of the bearings from Honda.
I've yet to find a good deal on the brass.
Apparently, honda only sells synchro assemblies (or whatever they're called) and they want a grip o cash.

IIRC, emoBone shared a source for brass parts a while back. eBay seller I think?
there's also http://www.gearspeedinc.com
$238 for 7 bearings, 5 synchros, 4 seals.

see my thread in product reviews.......or was it in the tranny forum?

gouty emoBone

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
define the popping out of gear, esp. which gear.

If its second gear, no fluid will cure it.

I predict second gear popping out, driver tried to hold it in, CS bearing walked out, killing the 1-2 shitter fork.

I was about to tell you to talk to "THE MAN" ^, But he already gave you the answer.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
good information guys. Will look into it.

wont matter if it is down for a few days. I drive my accord right now until civic ex up in good shape

1 - 20 of 41 Posts