Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
best head for turbo

i have a d16a6 head and want to see if there is a better head for tuning and flow and stock cam i know that my head is ok but what is the best????

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are just using a stock cam I would not worry about what head is the 'best' for flow unless you plan on making some serious power and getting all new valvetrain for the new head.

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Depends whether you want vtec or not. If not, stick with what you have. Alot of good cams and aftermarket valvetrain products are a perfect match to that head. Otherwise I believe the Z6 is best for boost and the Y8 is best for max NA setups.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think ill stick with the a6 because of tuning i do it my self its a little easier to tune non vtec and i have an extra cam i was thinking on getting a 272-2 regrind on it so that i can get a little more power. is delta the best bang for the buck?

·
Registered
765 Posts
I feel the A6 head has the most potential stock and when ported. This head makes very good flow numbers at all areas of the powerband. Hell, a properly ported A6 will flow as much as 220 cfm in the upper rpm range and still see improvements in the sub 4k powerband! What is most surprising, is to see how little is actually done to the intake port, bowl and combustion chamber to get these kinds of flow numbers.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I would say keep the a6 head. its a great head and a many builders on here have made great power on the a6

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
On a stock bottom end it doesnt matter. Turn the boost up until you make how much power the bottom end will take.

Good NA engine =! Good Turbo engine

2JZ and 4G63 are epic dog shit without a turbocharger, but that makes them great for boost because the same things that hurt top end NA will make a turbo car spool faster and make the powerband overall more usable for a street driven car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i am getting a victor x for 100$ as we speak with 9mm runners and am going to port match to head i will built the bottom end sooner or later but i want the head to be my power i have seen crazy numbers on here from just head work vs stock so it shows the head is were the power is made and i think i will stick with my a6 head and use that if its worth building?

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
I feel the Y7 head has the most potential for an NA setup. straight shot to the valve YEAH!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I was thinking Zc head.but then again I don't know shit.
Probably not. LOL JK! the only draw back to the zc head is that there isn't much aftermarket support for it. haven't really dove in to one so I don't know too much about them.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
This "no aftermarket support" is bullshit.

Apart from the super-restrictive VX heads, any head will do/make about the same power.
Worry about a cam before you worry about a head swap.
didn't say there was "no" aftermarket support. just not as much. but I agree with you on everything else. def need a great cam

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i got the perfomace x manifold injectors obx gasket and aem fuel rail for 100 its super clean has 8 injectors and started portmatching it to my head but i use to have a dohc zc and i loved it one of my favorite motors of all time

1 - 20 of 24 Posts