Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 civic
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding my d16y8 for boost this summer and as always I will only be putting the best in my engine. Neglecting cost, what would be the best forged piston/rod combination in your opinion?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Neglecting cost?

Crower rods, CP pistons would be a solid bet.

Though people have made plenty of horsepower on a lot cheaper stuff, with good reliability.

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
srp and eagle --- good solid combo, not very expensive too.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Eagle rods are good for well over 600hp, there really is no reason to spend more money for Crowers.

Wiseco/CP/Arias are all great slugs if you don't mind spending money. I run SRPs, and they work great for me.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,940 Posts
Don't all the aftermarket rods require notching the block? If so, I would think Eagles would be the only choice given their price and strength..

·
Registered
96 civic
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Are you running a sleeved block?
yes i will be sleeving the block, plan to run a good amount of boost.

well i just did a quick price check for eagle and crower rods. i found eagle for about 350 and a crower set for over 750. if theyre both forged and appear to be about the same thickness, then i dont understand how the prices can be that different. i dont think that the crowers could really be twice as strong as eagle (could be wrong). anways, if the eagle h-rods are supposed to be good up to 600 hp then i think that will do it for me.

any more advise on the pistons?

·
Registered
Civic
819 Posts
I mean if your only going for 400hp, which are the high side of 90% of the builds in this forum, then just look around on the threads; I'm sure you will see a combo of srp and vitaras. I personally am running vitaras because they are cheaper and meet my goals.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I mean if your only going for 400hp, which are the high side of 90% of the builds in this forum, then just look around on the threads; I'm sure you will see a combo of srp and vitaras. I personally am running vitaras because they are cheaper and meet my goals.
i can count the number of 400whp vitara builds on this site with one hand. its even easier if you disregard setups that never preformed at the track.

what ever happened to that thread where i made the call out? i forgot about that!

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
i can count the number of 400whp vitara builds on this site with one hand. its even easier if you disregard setups that never preformed at the track.

what ever happened to that thread where i made the call out? i forgot about that!
400hp in general for a d-series is more of an internet legend than anything. There are a handful of people that have actually done it, and a shitton of "400hp build" threads that never even come close.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
400hp in general for a d-series is more of an internet legend than anything. There are a handful of people that have actually done it, and a shitton of "400hp build" threads that never even come close.
Do jink me! LOL Me and two others in the local area have this as our goal. So we all hope to reach it on E85.

·
Registered
96 civic
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I understand, it's just a goal. May or may not reach it, but at least my engine will be a lot faster either way

·
Registered
My civic
442 Posts
I'm running an Eagle/Vitara Setup with 75.5mm Pistons and I've got 20k miles on my block on 12 psi.

I'm shooting for 350 WHP, daily driven.

My tuner had 433 WHP using the Eagle/Vitara setup and drove it 30k miles and had not one problem.

·
Registered
153 Posts
cp or wiseco would be my preferred choice. im starting a build as well and i ended up getting eagle rods along with cp pistons

1 - 20 of 23 Posts