Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of rebuilding my z6 when I found that my crank pulley is not reusable at all. I know there are other crank pulley I can use from other Honda engines. Which one is the lightest weight stock pulley I can get? I'm not going to go with an under drive pulley, I know that the stock pulley was designed to balance the crank out. And an under drive pulley will just mess things up.

So lets hear it, which stock pulley is the best for a d16z6?

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Gonna go out on a limb here, but Id say a z6 one....

·
Registered
224 Posts
like any other japanses manufacture..each component should be balanced individually, not all together like old domestics..u should be able to put any pulley u want on, and since its a small inline engine u dont have as much vibrations/harmonics to deal with like u would in a BB V8 or the like....

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
eh, thats debateable. balance seperate and then together.

but im with the crowd on this one. get another z6 pulley...
besides, shaving a little weight to make/not make minimal gains in the form of faster RPM's is not worth gambling the health of your rotating assembly on.

good luck!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
Y8 dampers are a better design for doing what a damper is supposed to do, IMO.
but are the timing marks in the same place?????

Z6 with OEM damper lived at 8500 rpms and never kicked the rods out, one of my SCCA customers was slightly insane with 4th gear until I swapped in the 4.93 FD.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,929 Posts
Don't worry about balancing...each crank pulley is balanced on it's own which is why you can see holes drilled in different places between crank pulleys of the same model.

Use a Z6 crank pulley and call it a day.

I can say from experience, however, that the timing marks on a A6 crank pulley and Y8 crank pulley DO line up correctly. Not too sure about Z6's though.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
but are the timing marks in the same place?????

Z6 with OEM damper lived at 8500 rpms and never kicked the rods out, one of my SCCA customers was slightly insane with 4th gear until I swapped in the 4.93 FD.
10-12-14. It's not hard to make accurate marks all the way to 16 for the Z6 with a set of dividers and a small, sharp file. :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts