Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to build my friends crx and I cant figure out what the best setup would be with a 14b turbo. Dont know that much about the d series just b series. I've look on a few forums and cant get a clear answer on what comb is best to run. Heres what i have to work with. a d15b2 motor, d16a6 motor, z6 head and a y8 head.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
a6+z6

·
formerly allnaturalrex
4,639 Posts
a6 will be fine by itself with a 14b set-up

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
y8 head will need a cam gear, that is it.

use that y8 head for tighter quench, more compression, faster turbo spool, and overall a better powerband

·
Registered
5,015 Posts

use that y8 head for tighter quench, more compression, faster turbo spool, and overall a better powerband
and ghey timing maps

na but the y8 is the better head overall per say but the z6 i just like more

I used to own a d16y car, hell two of them and honestly I want to never go back to that engine. the z6 has been nothing but great

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
no problems with timing maps. just set your mechanical timing as necessarywith some help from certain "tools" :bigok: and you can tune it like a z6

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thats what i was leaning towards from all I've read on other forums. I cant get a good answer on whats the better head because everyones 50/50 on them.
Just wanted a little more input. Local guy says to not even run a vtec head its not worth it. I also was told by another guy to run the d15 block with a z6 head. That just didn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
The B2 block Z6 head combo makes lots of sense. Nothing wrong with 10:1 cr with a lil boost. The B2/7 block will only hold 200-220 hp anyways which is getting close to that turbos breathing room. You'll just need a baller tune.

And I've never heard of a B series build being any different from a D series build. Please explain you reasoning behind them being different.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im talking about the components. Reading on line, D series vtec gives you a 20-40hp gain depending on your setup. When i tuned my b series, we added vtec and got an 80hp gain on the dyno. When i mean shits different thats what im saying. I'm not sure if theres more things like that i need to know about. If i were to do a b series build for the guy id get a b18c1 or just do ls/vtec because its, in my opinion, the best setup to run. Thats all im getting at. Yes, to turbo both is basically the same. Like i said, I just don't know whats best to use out of the parts i have.
d15 bottom end/z6 head?
d15 bottom end/y8 head?
d16 bottom end/z6 head?
d16 bottom end/y8 head?
or just run one of them w/o vtec?

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
you can opt to use the y8 head, and then find d16y7 valvetrain to swap in.

y8 combustion chamber, y7 non vtec function

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I don't believe anyone of the more reputable members or anyone with valuable info of this forum will consider vtec gains on the dyno a considerable difference between turbo builds. Its just not a major component. We're gonna get into apples and oranges if you start that argument. You'll find that with D series builds your results will be very similar unless you're going for HUGE numbers. Quite a few members here a more than well aware of the differences in vtec gain between D and B motors.

You can use whatever combo you want man. There is no "best setup" without a goal in mind. It depends on your goal. I would start there and do some more reading.

And when you say you added vtec while tuning, were you tuning a motor with a vtec head without the high cam map? How exactly did you add vtec? Did you do a vtec head swap and vtec conversion on an LS motor? Just wonderin.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
the only thing B series has on the D is two cams so you can precisely dial in/out overlap, bore size for ultra mega turbo builds (people have made 900 on a D), and combos for ridiculously short gearing.

oh wait, people have slapped the B tranny with fabrication to the D. :bigok:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And when you say you added vtec while tuning, were you tuning a motor with a vtec head without the high cam map? How exactly did you add vtec? Did you do a vtec head swap and vtec conversion on an LS motor? Just wonderin.
Not quite sure how my buddy tuned it. All i know is he started without vtec and then later started to add it in as he went along into the tune. I'll ask him.

Just. Fucking. Search.

There's no best combo and spoon feeding you will do no good.
I was just looking for suggestions/recommendations for this build.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts