Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a d15b/y8 t3 "super 45 trim" setup now and i was wondering if I should put a higher lift, less duration cam in it, and some suggesstions as to which cam would be best. I did some research and came up with, if you have a turbocharger you dont want alot of duration between intake and exhaust valves because of backpressure and flow problems between N/A and turbo setups. An N/A cam can have a higher possitive duration example: 15* duration and a turbo needs either a neg duration or slightly posstive duration ex: -3* to 8*.
Is this true? And if so what would be the best cam specs I should run. And do you guys have any part numbers?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Do you really think it is worth to spend 400-500+$ on a turbo cam+spring on a D15b with t3 super 45 turbo? To gain what? 10....15 hp?
Some ppl reach 400+ hp with stock head!
I'd swap the turbo for a bigger one if you want more power...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you really think it is worth to spend 400-500+$ on a turbo cam+spring on a D15b with t3 super 45 turbo? To gain what? 10....15 hp?
Some ppl reach 400+ hp with stock head!
I'd swap the turbo for a bigger one if you want more power...
im not lookin for 400+ hp I just want a good, balanced setup. And I think I may be gettin some reversion with 10:5-1 compression. I just dont want to be tuning a setup with mechanical issues.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
According to my tuner, a 59300 cam for example on a 300-325 hp setup could gain 30-40 hp. Alot of factors depending, but it's well worth the money!

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
cam is a waste, just up the boost.
more boost= more heat=more stress=shorter engine life. Id rather run less boost and build my motor than run more boost on a stock motor. I hate when people say leave you head stock and boost the piss out of it. Take the time and get in depth and do some work that will yield nice gains at lower boost levels, much more satisfying IMO

On that id go with the zex105300 or a bisi turbo grind.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
a big cam DECREASES dynamic compression, it keeps the valves open longer allowing static compression to bleed off

·
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
i've always seen and read that stock cams will perform the best for turbo apps, theyve worked well enough in real life so i see no reason not to.

·
My 91 Crx Hf
97 Civic Coupe
2,164 Posts
a big cam DECREASES dynamic compression, it keeps the valves open longer allowing static compression to bleed off
x2.

Its really all preference, you can hit 400whp on stock or upgraded cam, reliability of OEM cam or less compression (less detonation) of large cam is a + for reliability. This thread should have been asking for dyno sheets/track times that way you can look at their powerband, what cam and turbo/psi they are at, and so on that way you can compare for the power you are looking for.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im running 8 psi on a t3 turbo, and not looking for alot of power, just a good balanced setup. I have already built a y8 in a 96 EX coupe that hit 300whp and 205ftq, but I left the head stock and feel I couldve got more, and had a better power band, if I had put a cam it. So im not new to this, just need help on a cam selection. Im just worried about reversion on this 10.5-1 setup.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts