Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...I'm looking for some reccomendations for a cam and IM for my a6/z6 mini-me. I'll be rebuilding it soon, probably running a6 pistons to keep around a 10:1 CR, p&p the head, alread got basic bolt ons...

Anyway, main point is this will be a DD with probably a 50 shot on it for the occasional trip to the track. I'm thinking a stage 2 cam and either an aftermarket IM or a y8 IM. I like the factory look so thats why i consider the y8, and i hear it flows well. Just wondering if a stage 2 cam would hurt mpg too much or would I be better off with a stage 1 on the spray? Also, what about the IM and what brand cam? Thanks guys.

Edit: I'm currently running the z6 mani, obd1 with a p28. I will get it all tuned out once I finish the physical part of the build.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
keep the z6 or go with a sk2 IM. why buy a y8 IM if you already have a z6 one? and i say the sk2, cause of the long runners...more top end.

spray the stg2 if you want, a stg.2 should work out well with some boost. most of the people on here that are boosted run a stg.2 or bigger.

get a bisi cam, if you can afford it or zex.

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
before i read your post i was gonna say either z6 or y8, if your porting on the head you could even port out the IM alil. crower cams seem to be a respected and well designed brand. if it were me i would do the stage 2 cam and retainers (DONT FORGET THOSE) and worry about the gas after.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eh, i do a lot of driving, so thats why i ask about the mpg, like 400 miles a week. I think i can take care of that, I'm going to do some tranny work and use gear sets from different trannys(i got an extra si, zc on the way and checkin on an hf).

I have heard good things of both zex and crower for sure. Yea, i forgot to mention i'll be redoing the head completely, springs, retainers everything. I intend to do it right so i don't break anything for a loooong time. Boost is still an option if the stuff comes up for cheap, but for now i think spray is the way.

Does the z6 IM flow as well as the y8? Like i said i'd like to keep it stock looking, but i'd take function over form, to steal a quote from someone on here. What about the blox?

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Bisimoto is the only way to go for N/A and an occasional spray.... But thats just my $.02

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Bisi has the worlds quikest N/A sohc and has had that title for many years. He has done alot of R&D with Web Camshafts for the past 10+ years.. He knows D's

·
Registered
429 Posts
Bisimoto cam for Vtec D16 engine only at level 2..which is better with crower stage 3 for lift and duration ?
i wanna give the best for my NA engine setup, no NOS and boost..

and should we use same brand of cam and spring+retainer set ?

oh yeah i wonder where i can ask and order Bisi cam + valvetrain set ? because i have contact bisimoto from that website for 2 times,and put my email, but , there are not answer/reply from them to my email..

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
oh yeah i wonder where i can ask and order Bisi cam + valvetrain set ? because i have contact bisimoto from that website for 2 times,and put my email, but , there are not answer/reply from them to my email..
PM sent

·
Registered
Civic
882 Posts
Bisimoto cam for Vtec D16 engine only at level 2..which is better with crower stage 3 for lift and duration ?
i wanna give the best for my NA engine setup, no NOS and boost..

and should we use same brand of cam and spring+retainer set ?

I will have to second this. Never have gotten a response.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
I will have to second this. Never have gotten a response.

Well you are in California too. You could call. There is always somone to answer the phone. They are extremely busy right now I know that for a fact.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts