Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am doing a T25 turbo on my d16a6 and was planning on using a intercooler from a eclipse. Anyone who's seen one knows it's rather tiny as far as intercoolers go.

What can I expect if I was to upgrade to a larger one, like on the mitsu starion/conquest?

Thanks

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
depending on where you mount it a better cooler air charge. figure an increase of maybe 5-10hp over the stock mitsu cooler.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the only thing is of your turbo is too small a larger turbo cna actually hurt performance dow to pressure drop. see when air goes into the intercooler it looses pressure. the larger the cooler the mroe you loose. so if you only got a small t25, then you might not want to get some hughe fmic that covers the entire front of your car. it coudl cause performacne loss due to the volume of flow not beign there to support the motor's needs.

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
exactly.... also, a larger fmic increases the boost delay. Basically, you want the smallest IC that you can get that will support your hp goals. However you still want sufficient frontal area on the IC since they typically are air cooled.

fyi, the diameter of your charge pipes can make a difference as well.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well if you have a fifth gen with no a/c, you could do what i'm doing and make the eclipse one into a "front" SMIC. I'm mounting it right where the ac should have been, and it fits very well except for one thing. You have to cut the inlet and outlet down to about two inches :p

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the ecslips ones are not good for anything more than about 7-10 lbs of boost on a honda motor. why? well the honda motors were not designed for turbo origionally thus they product more heat than the turbo engiens they were designed for. also they are very small and square in size. for about $300 you can get a very nice fmic that would work pefectly off ebay.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya what he said, u can find some really nice fmic for under 300 on ebay. if u have a hook up on piping or aluminum welding,i would just get a starion front mount and modify the end tanks.u can pick one of those up or about 100 bucks shipped

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
True, but if your cheap like me, and only want to spent $40 for an intercooler, than its a good option. Plus It would provide more cooling than normal in the front like mine will be.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm running a stock Toyota MR-2 intercooler. Small, compact and efficient. Exactly what is needed, nothing more, nothing less.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts