Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy a 1990 CRX si transmission tomorrow. The seller endurance races, upgraded to a b16a, and is selling the trans.

He says it was rebuilt 1200 miles ago, only been driven on the track, had new bearings, seals, synchros and an Mfactory lsd put into it. Also has axles, clutch and flywheel with it.

I have never bought a transmission that was working from someone I did not personally know, usually bought from unknowns as cores...

aside from putting a screw driver in the shifter rod and cycling through the gears is there anything else I should look for?

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I may not have time to open and close it as I am picking it up on a guys lunch break. I have to pick it up then to hide it from my wife....

if time allows though I am going to do that. The price is such that it is going to move fast if I dont grab it asap.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
I may not have time to open and close it as I am picking it up on a guys lunch break. I have to pick it up then to hide it from my wife....

if time allows though I am going to do that. The price is such that it is going to move fast if I dont grab it asap.

Your money. Gamble as you see fit.

Without opening it there is little you can tell. Take a flashlight and look inside the drain bolt hole for debris. Wiggle the main shaft looking for play.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
remove the drain plug and see if any material is on it.

bring the correct socket for the reverse switch, and a 10mm for removing the VSS.

plenty of spots to look inside.

The obvious check is the shaft play.

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool thanks for the pointers. I have a good pick and pull tool kit that has all those tools...

This is the only transmission I have/will buy that I intend to actually use right away that is NOT from a trusted source. In the past it's always been from junkyards that our business had done business with for years, or from friends who sold the transmission while it was still in the car.

The price on this is well below the cost of LSD alone so its not the kind of deal I am going to just walk away from...

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dane is the seller's name.
The information I have...he ran a d16z6 with this transmission for endurance racing and used a stock flywheel and oem replacement clutches. Says it was from a 1991 Si as it has the shorter gearing.
He was having issues with rod bearing failure on the z6, decided to go with a b16a instead. He says he has rebuilt several D series transmissions as well as t5, t56, andrx7 transmissions over the past 15 years. He mentioned use of dail indicators and inch/lb wrenches to set proper clearances and lash. And like most of us he feels he isnt a hack job type of guy...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,310 Posts
Weirdly, I have a repeat customer, road racer that dropped out his SOHC swap for B16 swap that he got cheap, longshot it would be the same guy.

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I picked up the transmission the it is very clean from what I could see through the various holes

The seller stated several bearings all synchros and seals have been replaced along with a number 3 shift fork at the time the LSD was installed

I guess it's time to pick up some torco and plan a day to install

He also threw in a very nicely coated valve cover which works well since I'm about to put the new cam in

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
He also had a Canton oil pans for the d series if anyones looking

Oh yeah.
I paid $500. Got 3 axles, flywheel, clutch that looks brand new, the rebuilt trans with mfactory diff, and a Polydyn coated valve cover.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Nice score if its not been beat all to hell.

Take pics if you venture inside the trans. I assume you know how to check to see where the trans truly has an LSD from the outside?

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Definitely an lsd. And unless obx changed their materials its not one of theirs. Oil was super clean as well.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Sounds like you scored well. Most of the honda racers take pretty good care of their stuff, and are on short interval fluid changes to keep things healthy

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It seems that way so far. It was still full of fluid, and it was clean. They had multiple engines they had blown up bearings on in the shop, as well as a nice rx7. Their team is the Jersey Village Idiots and they started racing lemons and chump cars a few years ago and are still figuring out the endurance thing. I feel good about it, but ultimately until i crack the case I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I had also purchased a good, used LSD (Quaife) from a local Honda racer. The cool part was that he had the original invoice from where he had purchased it from the Ohio Honda plant through the factory Honda Racing team. Used it in my drag trans and it was flawless. Sold the trans to a local, and he sold it soon after. Kinda lost track of it; hope someone here ended up with it.

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had also purchased a good, used LSD (Quaife) from a local Honda racer. The cool part was that he had the original invoice from where he had purchased it from the Ohio Honda plant through the factory Honda Racing team. Used it in my drag trans and it was flawless. Sold the trans to a local, and he sold it soon after. Kinda lost track of it; hope someone here ended up with it.
Man I wish I had that much luck. As best I can tell the transmission has had about 18 hours on since rebuild, and the seller was a member of a race team that has visible online results going back to at least 2012, I also met him at his garage where they had not only the race car stored but several other sporty cars. I cannot see myself selling the transmission though, this car is my daily, and honestly I love it. I wanted a CRX when I was in high school, this model came out as I entered high school and it took me this long to find one that I could afford, and had the money to do it right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts