Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'93 / '95 Del Sol Si - '95 DX Coupe - '98 Civic Hatch - '00 Accord EX F23 Manual
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will attempt to compress this to the shortest read possible.

Got this particular Del Sol on the road in 2018. At the time, I put in two new ball joints of the cheap variety. Drove on them for a while with no issues. For about a year, I was running adjustable coilovers..but switched to a lowering strut / lowering spring combination because Michigan roads are pretty sh*tty.

In the summer of 2020, my passenger side ball joint snapped. About a block from home. This left me seriously stranded as you can't push the car or do anything. You're screwed. I had a friend drag the car home backwards while I made steering corrections.

Less than two months later, the DRIVER side balljoint snapped. The exact same thing happened about a block from home. Same exact spot on the road. There were no bumps there so this was purely coincidence.

Both times destroyed the axle..the second time destroyed the tire and damaged my new wheels...which I had to have welded.

At this point, I was fed up and ordered a Japanese made ball joint for the driver side. The passenger joint had been replaced with another cheap product because I thought it was a fluke.

Now...into 2021...

Less than a week ago, I was driving home from Home Depot..and what happened less than a block from home? My Passenger ball joint CAME APART and left me totally stranded. I had no choice but to put a steelie and crappy tire on that side and drag it home once again.

That ball joint lasted barely over a year before coming apart. Ridiculous. I ordered more Japanese ball joints and replaced it.

I am not running my car super slammed. There is quite a bit of gap compared to many cars out there. What are the odds of snapping / destroying 3 ball joints in just over a year? Especially when you've never had any serious ball joint problems in your entire history of driving Hondas? Which spans decades...

I was lucky to have this always happen at low speeds...because this could have been deadly. You can go cheap on axles, exhaust pipe, intake pipe, etc.
I would seriously advise buying quality ball joints..it can literally be life and death.

Automotive tire Dumbbell Household hardware Gas Font

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Wood Sports equipment

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,333 Posts
How aggressive is the camber angle on your car? (lean in at the top)

How bouncy is the ride? Looks like bad parts, but its crazy that all three broke like that or came apart. What brand were they?

·
Registered
'93 / '95 Del Sol Si - '95 DX Coupe - '98 Civic Hatch - '00 Accord EX F23 Manual
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Camber isn't aggressive at all. The only changes to the suspension were swapping out the struts and running Megan lowering springs. Also not bouncy. I can't handle bounce..I know there are people out there that actually deal with it for the aesthetics of their car...but I can't handle it.

Now, granted, they WERE cheap-ass parts. I had ordered a few pairs of these a while back so I'm not positive on the brand. But having two snap within a couple months of eachother and another come apart? Some people get paranoid of things after a car crash. I'm now paranoid of my ball joints snapping all the time. Hah!

I did, however, replace the driver side with Senkei and I haven't had any issues with it. And this one (passenger side) was just replaced with a Senkei.

Here is a pic of my car to give you an idea of where I was at. Nowhere near slammed and riding about as close to stock as you can get.

The front is the same gap as the back..that angle may be deceiving.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
91 Hatch rally car
310 Posts
OEM stuff seems to be fine when everything else is OEM. Once you start messing with things, OEM starts to fail. Due to slamming our crap can rally car into banks, jumping it, and really aggressive ditch driving, the shell has a curve and a lean that requires adjustable upper control arms to get the camber any where close side to side. We started with the cheap ebay stuff and graduated to the stupidly expensive stuff. In every case, the ball joints would last at most a single event. We built some stupidly over engineered control arms that can use QA1 style, bolt on rebuildable dirt track car ball joints. While this created a whole host of new issues, we've been able to run the same ball joints for two entire seasons. Front ball joint failure at speed can make you rethink your life choices.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Front ball joint failure at speed can make you rethink your life choices.
You nailed it right there. And I was doing under 35 when this happened. Each time. I just kept thinking about how I was doing 65-70 ten minutes before that..and trying to figure out how the hell they all failed in very low speed areas.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,333 Posts
You bought those $5 ones off of Rockauto from a few years back didn't you?!?!?!!?

I saw them and ran like they had the plague lol. Hard to find good ball joints for EF/EG/EJ now. I put Moog in mine and sure enough a boot is already busted. Pissed me off.

How much were the Senkei's?

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
729 Posts
Mcquay Norris for the win! The xtreme series comes with poly boots, never had issues with them, at $90 each they are pricey, but they have extra range of motion and are rated to run up to 5° +- camber

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,989 Posts
It sucks having bj ptsd..

when mine snapped I was doing 100kmh at night..what a show!

when my brother had his ejcivic I think he snapped off like three cheapies within 2 years,they were all less than 1 year old, luckily it happened at low speed parking lot bumps..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts