Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if there was anything that i should have anything put onto my car (ignition, cam, port and polish) before i go with nitrous. I am a noob to nitrous but any help you guys can provide would be great.

S

·
0 Posts
I have been running nitrous for about a year in my 95 EX coupe- D16Z6 (89K). First I applaud u for posting and not just throwing on a kit and blowing your motor then posting asking us why u blew it. Below I have listed the steps I have taken with my nitrous along with my dyno numbers:

1. Read and do research before u buy and hook up anything. I have sat in Barnes and Noble bookstore for hours reading magazines and books. I would recommend a book called "Sport Compact Nitrous Injection" by Joe Pettitt, it can be ordered on amazon.com for $13.27, there are a few other good books out there just look in the car section. Also find all posts in the forced induction forums on here, honda-tech.com, and dserieshonda, people with your same car will tell u there experiences- good and bad with it. I researched for about 8 months before I even ordered my kit.
2. Start out small 35 shot then to 55, and if u have balls and a strong motor a 75 shot. I purchased a Nitrous Express Import Single Fogger Wet Kit. It sprays nitrous and fuel through the same nozzle and into the motor. I have never had a problem with the kit, great quality and customer service.
3. Purchase the Gen-x 2 upgrade kit it comes with a purge solenoid and tube, blow down tube(required if u race at a NHRA track), bottle heater, gauge and adapter. Good investment.
4. A few tips while spraying, DO NOT spray below 3000RPM u will have what is called nitrous backfire, with a wet kit spray u fuel into your intake manifold, at too low a rpm the velocity of air is not traveling fast enough to pull the fuel in too so it will puddle in your intake manifold and kaboom!!!!!!!! I backfired once at the track- black smoke everywhere, thought I broke something. Do not spray until redline I stop at 7000rpm on my Z6.
5. I would HIGHLY recommend buying a NX TPS switch, it only opens the solenoids at wide open throttle so u make sure you are not running lean. I also hooked up a MSD rpm acivated window switch so the solenoids will only open between 3000-7000rpm's. The MSD sends out a 12V- ground signal out in the certain rpm range. The tps requires a 12V+ and 12V- to operate so I hooked the output of the MSD to the ground of the TPS so even if I am at wide open throttle I cannot spray until the MSD box reads between 3000-7000rpm, this is a failsafe way to ensure safety for u and your motor.
6. Have your car dyno tuned to ensure your air/fuel ratio is within an acceptable range, I paid $55 for three pulls and tuning at my local shop.
7. Buy a air/fuel gauge even if it is the crappy autometer one like I have, it will tell u things u WILL want to know.
8. Buy colder spark plugs. I was running NGK ZFR6F-11 (1 step colder), they were fine for a 55 shot but melted when I went to a 75 shot. I now run NGK BKR7E (2 steps colder) they have held up fine.
9. Retard your timing like the nitrous manual says, u dont want to melt a piston (or melt spark plugs like I did) because of the high pressures, and temps. FMIDRC Racer threw a rod in his 1.5 minime block with a 55 dry Zex shot.
10. Be careful nitrous like boost is addictive u always want to turn it up a notch, but our stock motors or clutches were not meant from honda to make that much instant torque and horsepower, you will need to do some mods to reap the benefits.
11. Have a good open exhaust I run a Apexi N1 full catback, with a test pipe. It is also recommended to get a good header to let all those extra exhaust gases exit faster. I dont have a aftermarket header because I am going turbo soon and dont want to waste the money.
12. Change your fuel filter
13. Check my other posts in the forced induction forum, I have a few and gotten alot of great responses, just do a search. D-series.org helped me build my Z6.
14. I have and do still smoke mustangs and alot of other cars, people are so suprised how I pull away from them and then open my hood and they only see 1 cam gear.
15. Good luck please email me with any questions at [email protected]
Below are my dyno numbers with a 55 wet shot:
(I now run with a 75 shot but havent put it on the dyno yet)

Run #1 (Stock w/ bolt-ons) Max Power 117.8 Max Torque 99.6
Run #2 (NX 55 Wet Shot) Max Power 158.3 Max Torque 162.7

Below are my mods.

Z6 w/ stock internals
stock timing
NX 55 Wet shot
AEM short ram
pulleys
no A/C
apexi N1 catback
straight pipe

S

·
0 Posts
FMIDRC Racer, dseriesscience, transzex or anyone else chime in with anything I forgot or comments.:werd:

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
sammy hit about everything..........

Sir, do you have your dynofiles??????

I wanna see the torque spike :)

Few understand that N20 really helps low rpm power but tapers of at higher rpms, you have to learn to short shift on juice.

TORQUE is the answer!

What was the question?????

Oh yeah, his 55 shot only yielded +40.5 hp increase, but damn a big +63.1 torque increase!!!!!!!!

Think about what LAUNCHES your car fron a dead start...........

J

·
0 Posts
ohhhhhhhhh....the torque!
why am i even running a turbo?....my nos flashbacks on my 95 gsr tell me why!
TORQUE!
ran a 100 shot wet kit and was awsome....no traction (torque!)
love to see the dyno sheet on that 1.5 wet kit set up please
may convert me back to NOS!
lol
jman

S

·
0 Posts
Couple questions, have u dynoed the car yet with the turbo kit, how much boost are u running, and did u make that shelf for your MSD Ig?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dude on the whole NOS issue.. it's cool running nos but at the same time alot of times its just safer to go turbo. dont get me wrong, ive ran nos in two different cars in the past 6 years and its awesome. but at the same time if youre careless with it, it can pretty much screw up your day. ive shot a rod through the front, bottom, and the rear of the block before sprayin nos (that was me being careless). another time i spun a bearing, also ruined my day. Although if you do wanna go the nos route, id go with the Zex kit, it comes with a lil box with a few wires that run to your tps, which basically just pick up on wot, and thats the only time itll activate your nos. it took me bout 4 hours installing it, that was from the moment i opened up the box to the moment i programmed it.

Holy smoke Batwoman I have that kit for sale. :bubbrubb:

S

·
0 Posts
Why dont u try reading my entire post again mabye two or three times, and then respond. Try getting instant torque like me with turbo. Sorry not gonna happen, oh yea how much did u spend on a turbo kit with intercooler, piping, BOV and RELIABLE engine management? Think about it

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nos

Panties in a bunch?

Dude first off to each their own.. You might wanna read my post more than 2 or 3 times to understand what i said.. Hmm lemme see I-I-I-I-I-I-I h-a-v-e b-e-e-n running nos for quite a few years. I never knocked the nos other than you have to be careful..

Did you ride the short lil yellow bus as a kid by any chance?

·
No more Honda's :-(
3,223 Posts
the rpm switch is a good idea and if you don't have that i reccomend having a chip done with a higher rev limit. i used uberdata and raised my rev limit to 8500 rpm just to be safe. i will also tell you that what ever you do don't spray a 1.5 liter!!!!!!! i didn't read what motor you are going to spray but i will tell you that i had my zex kit with the 55 shot tuned damn near perfect and as soon as i put the bottle heater on and got a little more power of the nitrous it snapped a rod the first run. i ran a bottle without the heater and checked my plugs evey other time that i sprayed. then the first run i made with the bottle heater on it blew. then i sprayed about 5 bottles through my z6 motor and it was running a bit lean for a while but it was always ok, motor is still in there.

the main thing is just always check your plugs. i'm not sure if you really need to go to a dyno but if you can find a deal for $55 i would do it for sure. nitrous can be your best friend or your worse enemy. it sure is fun though.

D

·
0 Posts
Sammydhoff is right about the set up and taking caution with the nitrous(New to N2O). Rest assured, my D16z6 with 160K++ is handling the Zex 75 Dry Shot. I've only had it for a few months and the power just isn't enough, so I bought Arias 11:1 pistons and Eagle ESP rods and will be changing the jetting to 100 to 125 Shot. Although, I know I will eventually get tired of this set up and will be thinking about going turbo and NOS.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You better have good management to run 100 - 125 shot on 11:1 pistons.
:holla:

S

·
0 Posts
It seems like too many thigns can go wrong, that's why I stay away from it.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts